Hi all
I wonder how many people would find it useful and/or interesting to discuss some of the themes that appeared the the 1990's TC series Babylon 5?
Several lines of discussion suggest themselves (example episodes in italics):
I will also add:
I wonder how many people would find it useful and/or interesting to discuss some of the themes that appeared the the 1990's TC series Babylon 5?
Several lines of discussion suggest themselves (example episodes in italics):
- The tension between expectations of faith/principles and objective/technocratic decision making (e.g. Believers)
- What price immortality? (Deathwalker)
- The tension between order and chaos (the shadow story line from late season 1 though to mid season 4)
- At what point does it become necessary for sworn officers to disobey authority? (end season 1 to end season 4). This may be too political for this group!
- The significance of hope.
- The nature of the person in a word of synthetic and engineered personalities (Divided Loyalties, Passing Through Gethsemane, Spider in the web).
- Character development, especially Sinclair, Sheridan and Delenn, J'Kar and Londo, Vir, Lennier, Franklin, Lyta and Ivanova.
- The role of myth and archetypes
- How plots are interleaved, especially the themes of world building, chaos and order, authority and morality, and what happens after the wars.
I will also add:
- As in LOTR, hope without guarantees
