Eriol
Estel
- Joined
- Sep 30, 2002
- Messages
- 1,359
There is no doubt that the White Mountains were very high. However, there is also no doubt that the Beacon Hills did not reach to that height. They were the highest elevation points of the Drúadan Forest. You don't have to be an ecologist to know that forests do not grow in those heights. In effect, aragil's claims about the highest elevations in the White Mountains make this point quite neatly. If we consider that the beacons in the movies were the highest peaks of the mountains (we surely don't see any higher peaks around them), then those peaks couldn't have been as high as the data shown by aragil, since they had to support forests.
Sorry, it wasn't true to the book. This is very noticeable to a guy (like me) who thinks "ecologically". I have a very clear picture of the Beacon Hills in my mind, and it was drawn from the description of the books, that make reference to the Forest.
I remember when FotR came out that I thought Anduin was a wimpy river in the movie, certainly not "Anduin the Great" that we were used to know from the books. Orcs couldn't reach the opposite margin at Sarn Gebir with their arrows. The river in the films is quite narrow compared to the "real" Anduin from the books. So what? It only matters to a guy (like me) who pays attention to these things. And I can live with it.
However, to "live with it" does not mean "to be blind to it". Anduin is too small; the Beacon Hills have become Beacon Mountains. There is no doubt about it.
Sorry, it wasn't true to the book. This is very noticeable to a guy (like me) who thinks "ecologically". I have a very clear picture of the Beacon Hills in my mind, and it was drawn from the description of the books, that make reference to the Forest.
I remember when FotR came out that I thought Anduin was a wimpy river in the movie, certainly not "Anduin the Great" that we were used to know from the books. Orcs couldn't reach the opposite margin at Sarn Gebir with their arrows. The river in the films is quite narrow compared to the "real" Anduin from the books. So what? It only matters to a guy (like me) who pays attention to these things. And I can live with it.
However, to "live with it" does not mean "to be blind to it". Anduin is too small; the Beacon Hills have become Beacon Mountains. There is no doubt about it.


