• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Beleriand population estimates

I think we need to work out population growth...
as Nom has said we will have
Fast,Men
Medium, very sucure elves(maybe men in times of flight,like the house of beor after the bragolach)
slow, Elves.

how about...
slow a 102% increase a year.
Medium a 105% increase a year.
Men a 110% increase a year.

Maybe this needs its own thread but...
 
I wrote something new about this in the FAQ thread.

I think we should wait and see how fast our time passes and how often it seems best to increase our populations.

When the time comes for an increase we can decide how much is needed for the various speeds.

But I'd estimate it would be something closer to this:

Fast - 100% every 25 years

Medium - 30% every 25

Slow - 15 every 20... but we'll see before writing anything in stone.
 
Posted in the FAQ thread:

Nóm said:
Fast - Men.
Medium - Elves in the safest more secure realm. (basically Doriath with Girdle intact, Gondolin and maybe Ossiriand)
Slow - Elves in realms where danger is great, or in times of flight. Dwarves.

During the Siege of Angband, when there was great peace in Beleriand for several centuries, shouldn't the realms of all elves have medium population growth (This is my opinion)? Or do you think the elves would consider these times as those of war, since Morgoth was still very much present in M-e?

In times of war, I agree that only very few realms would have high population growths (and in the case of elves, by 'high' I mean 'medium'), though perhaps those which are far removed from the grasp of Morgoth (such as the Falas) would still have higher growth rates than lands in the immediate vicinity of Angband?
 
Yeah those ones that are far removed and aren't involved in battles will probably have faster growths, thats why I mentioned Ossiriand.

We'll have to see how things go, this wont The Silmarillion.

And like I said:
Slow - Elves in realms where danger is great, or in times of flight. Dwarves.

Which excludes those realms who aren't in great danger.


And just because there was peace doesn't mean they felt little danger. Especially since one of their reasons or not striking Morgoth was belief it was hopeless.

In the post you are quoting from I opened saying the realms would be assigned a number when it comes time to calculate growth. That hasn't been done yet. All realms wont have the same rate through the whole game.

I tossed those out so people would get the idea, it doesn't need to be taken literally.

If people don't agree on rates when the time comes we can put it up to the council of three.
 
Back
Top