• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Can this be the reason why Celeborn didn't sail west with 🧝Galadriel?

Ricardo

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2025
Messages
347
I have not read anything to support this, I just think it could fit the story and could have been in the back of Tolkien's mind when her wrote LOTR.

There are 2 things that always bothered me and made no sense to me.

1) Why didn't Celeborn sail to the west with Galadriel?
2) Why didn't Elladan and Elrohir go with Elrond?

And I think they can be related.

First, the twins, it's conceivable that they wanted to stay with Arwen and Aragorn while they lived, but the price was high, they would lose their immortality by not leaving Middle Earth with Elrond. Tolkien never said but I don't feel the twins wanted to be mortal.

Celeborn makes even less sense, sure, his grandchildren were staying, but his wife was leaving, her daughter had left like 2000 years earlier. Elrond was willing to part ways with Arwen, why would Celeborn stay?

And I thought, Elrond was the link that kept his children immortal, when Elrond departed, that link was broken, or was it?

What if that link could be to any elf ancestor. What if Celeborn just stay to ensure the twins remained immortal until they were ready to leave?

does this make any sense at all?
 
There is a difference between choosing to stay permanently (an irrevocable decision) as Arwen and Luthien did, and deciding to "hang around" a bit longer as (I believe) Celeborn, Elladan and Elrohir did.
As to why Celeborn did not immediately depart with Galadriel, who knows?
Considering their lifespans, if an "Elf couple" decide to remain apart for several years, well, to them that might be a like a human couple being separated for a few hours or maybe a few days; not long at all. (Just my guessing on all this).
 
I think the case of Luthien is completely different. She was given an explicit choice by Iluvatar. Earendil, Elwing and Elrond are also different, they were mortal and were turned immortal.

Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen were immortal, so their choice would be to give up that immortality, and there are some writings that say that either marrying a mortal (like Arwen did) or staying behind after Elrond has departed would turn them mortal, nothing is mentioned about a temporary stay, that's why I think Celeborn is the link, and it would completely justify him staying.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…