Hi Alcuin
The short answer might be that despite its popularity, I don't employ
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn for much of anything that concerns Galadriel and Celeborn.
For example, you wrote:
"I thought Galadriel departed Eregion through Khazad-dûm to Lórien after she found herself unwelcome to the Mírdain under Annatar’s influence (i.e., Sauron in disguise)."
And that is, in part, the scenario in CG&C.
But it falls within a larger scenario that I think
Tolkien later abandoned, which includes: Galadriel and Celeborn as co-founders and co-rulers of Eregion,
Amroth as Galadriel's son, and Galadriel passing to
Lorien before
the destruction of Eregion -- regarding this last idea, there's a brief mention in Words, Phrases, and Passages (PE 17), entry
Lothlorien:
" . . . -- it was originally ruled by Nandorin princes, and Galadriel and Celeborn only retreated thither after downfall of Eregion."
Is this just brevity, or . . .
. . . so some of my reasons are based on "limited" text, canon considerations and opinion. For another example, Appendix B
"some of the Noldor" went to Eregion for
Mithril -- year 750 Eregion founded by the Noldor -- (revised edition addition)
Celebrimbor (now a Feanorean)
"was Lord of Eregion."
That's author published text of course, with no hint of Galadriel ruling, and as
I line up these dominos anyway, Galadriel isn't ousted from power by the Mírdain and thus need not retreat to Lorien before Eregion's fall. Also, the seeming "problem" (if it's agreed to be one) that Christopher Tolkien raises, arguably goes away . . .
"[No explanation is offered in this rapid outline of why Galadriel scorned Sauron, unless she saw through his disguise, or of why, if she did perceive his true nature, she permitted him to remain in Eregion]" Christopher Tolkien, CG&C
According to Appendix B,
Gil-galad refused to treat with Sauron, and although Tolkien himself didn't
publish the following, according to
Of the Rings of Power And The Third Age, Sauron in his fair guise didn't even go to the land of
Lindon! Gil-galad and
Elrond doubted him enough that they wouldn't admit him there.
Was JRRT really going to put
Galadriel in power where Sauron got his famous "in" with the
Elves?
Keeping in mind her noted insight into others, and that Gil-galad would become a younger relation
of hers in the Finarfinian line. Well yes, JRRT went there in this outline . . .
. . . but did he ultimately imagine that only under Celebrimbor's rule, Sauron infiltrates? I think this latter idea won out, and thought so even before the following was published:
" . . . many of the Noldor and Sindar went eastwards into Eriador and beyond (Galadriel and Celeborn were the chief examples; but originally the settlement at Eregion under Celebrimbor was also very important.)" JRRT WPP PE17, entry
yrch
Again, maybe not a "slam dunk" interpretation wise, but . . .
That much said, I realize one can attempt (as I would phrase it for this matter) to "merge" texts, but for myself, I see no great reason to do that here. As I hinted at earlier, in the first edition (Appendix B, before the dated entries begin), no ruler of Eregion is even mentioned in this section, much less someone descended from
Feanor.
So I ask me: is the reader to believe that Tolkien, adding this line in the 1960s, "meant" Celebrimbor ruled Eregion
after Galadriel and Celeborn? Or that he simply ruled at some point?
Possible.
But from JRRT's perspective (what he's "now" adding for the reader), and thus from author-published description, if I recall correctly, we don't have any reason to think it was Galadriel who co-founded and co-ruled Eregion -- and Tolkien could have noted that Celebrimbor "eventually" ruled there, or added something brief to a dated Tale of Years entry . . .
if he still held to the post-Lord of the Rings posthumously published idea from CG&C, that is.
Anyway, sorry if this has become a rambling muddle. There are some moving parts with respect to my fairly sweeping dismissal of
Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn.
🐾