• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Commentary relating to; 'Ainulindalë' discussion thread

Re: Re: Commentary about the Silmarillion Discussion

Nym, how could you take my words as mocking?!??????

I have always liked to read what you post!

-----

Sometimes I think ..... perhaps people understand other people's words based on the personal attitude towards those people....
If you don't like someone, everything he/she says will be taken and understood badly!

Allright... Think whatever you'd like.... But no matter how many times I read that short line of mine I just cannot find any mockery or any attempt to hurt your feelings!
 
I did not know if it was mockery or not, which is why I asked.
Sometimes I think ..... perhaps people understand other people's words based on the personal attitude towards those people....
Yeah.
It happens. I sometimes take you as being sarcastic with me. Though only in the discussion thread did I find something wrong with that. Oh well, since that was not your intention then I guess this is cleared up and I wont say anything else about this unless I think it is being done to another member and by another member. Then I will just notify Maedhros about it.
 
If Elfarmari,doesn't post the intro by the 27 of Nov., I will post it.
 
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have thought that a reading/discussion is just this - reading and discussing....but NOT debating.
So, Nym, take it easy!

I think you are wrong.

But I am moving this to the discussion thread since it is off the topic in the chapter discussion thread.

Where does disagreement & discussion turn into debate? As soon as one person defends a point of view that another disagrees with, I would say. What would others say?
As far as I have ever known, the discussion of disagreements/differences in opinions, is an essential part of indepth depth discussion as it allows people to see things from other perspectives and causes them to question their own thoughts. Now if you think debate is of no use, why not speak against your guild engaging in it. Now if it is of use, what's the problem?
Did you not notice other debate type discussions in the Ainulindale thread? One of which involved our former Deputy Guild Leader.
Where you got this idea that debate is not allowed in the discussion thread is beyond me.
I see no problem with it as long as it doesn't turn personal (I think this holds true for all threads), or end up drowning out the other discussion.
Neither of which took place that I am aware of, unless it was the latter?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Though part of this is addressed to Lhunithiliel, I welcome any opinions from others who take part in the chapter discussion, or even not.
What is debate?
Is it allowed in the discussion threads?
Need I have taken it easy?
 
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have thought that a reading/discussion is just this - reading and discussing....but NOT debating.
So, Nym, take it easy!


I also couldn't disagree more with that. The process of reading and discussing goes hand in hand with debating - trying to get to the bottom of something. If you just leave something that bothers you (or is very uclear) like it is, than you have accomplished little or even nothing at all. Just my two cents (or should I say euros).
 
I agree too.Discussing always goes han in hand with debating,because of any difference of opinion.I doubt all we have same opinions and I would say that debating is the next step after discussing something.
 
No! I do not agree!
To discuss is to state your own opinion on an issue.
To debate is to try to persuade the opponent that you are right and he/she is not !
If you consider the Reading/Discussion a debate, then I cannot understand you! Do you mean that each person who posts an opinion actually tires to persuade the rest of us that we ALL are wrong in thinking what we are thinking, and that the only rightfull opinion and understanding is the one of the poster?????

I don't buy this! Sorry!

Debating is completely different from discussing!

And the Reading/Discussion activity then would be called a Reading/ Debating activity!
 
Well, there must be something in specific that bothers you about debate occurring within the discussion thread. What is that? No others have complained, so it may be a problem that only you see. Please enlighten?


I think debate might hinder a discussion if it goes too far. I think in such a case it may be best to create a thread to continue the debate. But who is to judge when a debate has gone too far within a discussion?
I think a solution would be to allow debate in the discussions but if anyone ever thinks it's going too far, post about that in this thread and give reasons. It can then be decided by the people involved in the debate if they would be willing to drop the subject, or start a new thread.
Just a suggestion


I'm also curious about this: Was it something I said? Or just the fact that it was debate?
1)Why didn't you express this concern during the more intense debate that took place in the Ainulindale discussion? There have been other debates in the discussions as well.
2) Why tell me to take it easy when two others were debating too? Also, bearing in mind the fact that it was my answer to a question which was challenged that spawned the debate that I was involved in.
 
Nom, as you see this matter as a personal one, I'd better PM you and try to answer your questions. OK?
 
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
Nom, as you see this matter as a personal one, I'd better PM you and try to answer your questions. OK?
Okay, though only a portion is personal.
The rest I still think we should discuss here, the "debate problem". That is, if there is one we should find a solution.
What do others think?
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…