I'm of the opinion that it is up to each reader to read the
books in whichever order they like, and to view them however they like, I think this would involve them integrating the various works at their own rate.
It seems that some people want to get to the bottum of what
Tolkien's latest ideas were, for me, at this point at least, there is little use in that. I think each tale should stand alone, and does not have to be consistent with others.
I think that what is important is that we enjoy the books, this means a person will take different aproaches than others do.
I like the bit in
The Return of the Shadow where it is believed among the
hobbits that
Bilbo had a wife and rumored that she must have been ugly since he seened to be keeping her hidden.
What is told in The final version of
The Lord of the Rings did not happen any more than the silly
hobbit rumors about Bilbo's wife did.
Both happend in one man's imagination, were written down and shared with the world. When we read them, they happen in our imagination.
It's just a matter of having different versions of a story, don't we get that all the time in life? Look what we do with it; we can choose to believe one because we like it most, or because we deem the source is most reliable, or we can decide not to take any story as fact, and just take them into consideration, and we can decide to believe parts of the story, but remain open or skeptic about others.
I think that is what all of these
tales are,
food for the imagination and for analytical thought. I think will automaticly come up with their own beliefs about the history of
Middle-earth, and I think that any attempts to come up with a version that best reflects what Tolkien latest ideas were, are guesses and estimates even if they are taking chronology into consideration. It is probably done more often for the enjoyment of the means than the end. We know what Tolkien wrote down and in some cases when. So we know part of what he thought at this or that time.
I do not, and did not upon first reading, find the
Council of Elrond boring. The least interesting part for me, is the bulk of the
Sam Frodo and
Gollum thread.
Lantarion - I enjoy the deeming of the doom too