• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Crafting a meaningful last name for Kili?

What is his last name?

  • Oakenshield

  • Arrowhunter

  • Something else that Tolkien wrote

  • Something else made up


Results are only viewable after voting.

SKYLAH OAKENSHIELD

I love Kili!!!
Joined
Mar 3, 2015
Messages
11
I have been torturing myself trying to figure out what Kili's last name is. I used to think it was Oakenshield-hence my name- but I realised that is not right. I have eventually discovered that Tolkien never gave him one. My conclusion is that either his last name is Durin (because he is of the line of Durin) or that I must make one up, relating to his feats. I believe that Arrowhunter might work. Any other ideas?
 
If you choose one of the "other" options, could you please say what it is. Otherwise I don't know how it will help. Thanks!
 
Tolkien mentions that dwarves used a public name and that they also have a private name, in Khuzdûl, which is used only among other Dwarves.

Their public name contains only an identifier (the name itself) and possibly a descriptor (such as Ironfoot, Oakenshield, Stonehelm, the Deathless, etc.)

Surnames, and how they came into existence is complicated in the Saxon, and Nordic worlds that are a template for Middle-earth (excepting The Shire, which is a purely anachronistic interface between the reader and the ancient world of Middle-earth - see Tom Shippey's "The Road to Middle-earth"

BTW....

Glad to see there are others who think about these sorts of questions.

MRB


I obviously take Middle-earth too seriously!
 
His last name would be that of his fathers and mothers. His mother, Lady Dis, was an Oakenshield, but she married, so her name changed. Tolkien never specified what that name was. So we shouldn't make anything up or call him Oakenshield or Arrowhunter.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top