• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Eowyn ❤️ Faramir as much as Aragorn?

Eowyn: Fickle or just Practical?

  • Eowyn really did fall more in love with Faramir than with Aragorn.

    Votes: 38 79.2%
  • Eowyn was still in love with Aragorn, but she pretended love for Faramir.

    Votes: 10 20.8%

  • Total voters
    48
Yes... he is the hope for all of us desperate Eowyn Types...

sigh...

It would be hard to belittle Faramir, but I've seen it done... Of course, his movie character was a little different.

Those changes were SHAMEFUL!


Sigh... :(
 
Faramir was everything that Boromir was and more. How great Gondor must have been if in it's shadow there were still folk like Faramir!

Warrier, Scholar, wise, gentle, great leader of men, able to face the "shadows of evil in the air". For me he is the Gondor equivalent of Halbarad except he lived.
 
Or the Gondor equivalent of the much earlier Elendur ;)? For of him it is said that he was the noblest of the sons of Isildur and most like to hi sgrandsire, Elendil. Anyway he (Faramir) was a shadow of the royal nobility of the kings of old, though not as high in Faramir as in Aragorn. I think that the fact tha Frodo sensed this nobility closer and less distant must be because Faramir had grown up as the son of the Steward and learned kingly ways.

Húrin thalion
 
I have to say I enjoyed Éowyn's character alot in the books the first time I read it. She could see fairness in Faramir, and her heart called out to him though she wished to remain tough on the outside and wnated death as an honorable life.
Faramir and Éowyn... the true couple of the Trilogy.
 
In the book, I think Eowyn and Faramir are destined to be together but in the movie.. I can't help but feel for Aragon and Eowyn and how they are drawn toward one another.. They seemed to have something deeper than lust. I guess in the book, I agree that Eowyn and Faramir are good together but in the movie.. I am not sure.. I guess I have to see the third one -- see Eowyn and Faramir together--- to decide.
 
Most everyone has expressed my opinion already (and very eloquently, applause all around), but briefly; Eowyn did love Faramir, but it was, as Faramir himself said later in the book, not the love of a woman for a man, but a young soldier for a great captain- she loved him as a king, and as a way to escape, but not as a man. They didn't make this clear in the movie, which I am very irritated about. As for Faramir, he saw all this when Eowyn didn't, and it was his understanding that helped heal her. I say that by the time that great and wonderful scene on the wall happened, Eowyn was already in love with Faramir as she had never been with Aragorn, but she did not understand or did not want to understand what she was feeling and tried to ignore it.
 
Call me a wee bit cynical, but I never got that sense of "true love" at any time between Eowyn and Faramir. As Treebard would say, it was too "hasty". I didnt sense that feeling of great love like that of Aroagorn and Arwen, probably because there was no test of love, there was no length in it. I dont know, when I read it , the first thing I felt was a sense of dissatisfaction. It didnt feel right, it felt almost like Tolkien put them together "hastily " because he wanted something for Eowyn, a consolation prize, if you will. I definetly did not think they had real love, maybe if they spent a few years as friends and then got together... I always feel disappointed that my high spirited gal, the ture heroine of the book, gave up kind of. And I dont like that.
 
Elfhelm, here's what Tolkien had to say:

Criticism of the speed of the relationship or 'love' of Faramir and Eowyn. In my experience feelings and decisions ripen very quickly (as measured by mere 'clock-time', which is actually not justly applicable) in periods of great stress, and especially under the expectation of imminent death. And I do not think that persons of high estate and breeding need all the petty fencing and approaches in matters of 'love'. This tale dos not deal with a period of 'Courtly Love' and its pretences; but with a culture more primitive (sc. less corrupt) and nobler.

From The Letters of JRR Tolkien, Letter #244- 'Comments on a criticsm concerning Faramir & Eowyn'.

I don't think the speed of their relationship lessens it; certainly I think it is better to know a person for some time when you fall in love with them, but I'm not so sure that it's vital for the love to be 'real' (mind you, I have never been in love so all my knowledge is vicarious). I also don't think Eowyn 'gave up', but I have to cut this short. "I'll be back."
 
It's not how long you know the person as how well you get to know them; Faramir and Eowyn made quick choices that defined their character. You can fall in love with someone who commits a heroic act, par example.
 
She Needed Faramir

I think Mrs. Maggot has hit the nail on the head. What Eowyn feared most was a cage-literally and figuratively. In an oppressive household with Grima's eyes on her 24/7 & her king & kingdom on the downslide, Aragorn must've truly seemed like a savior to her. So powerful& sure of purpose. He represented a complete turn-around in Eowyn's life. Remember how many times she pled to go, to be allowed to fight. Until finally, putting her pride aside, she BEGGED Aragorn. She was desperate to take action, to help shape her own destiny. I absolutely do not agree that Grima's spell was the source of Eowyn's strong will, bold nature and willingness to fight. On the contrary, I think these are some of her most defining traits&are what KEPT Eowyn from falling under Grima's spell. Aragorn himself called her "shieldmaiden". In Gondor, Eowyn surpassed her own desire for valor when she slew the Wraith. BUT, she was still a woman unfulfilled. She longed to give her heart up as well, to be able to let her guard down. Intuitive, empathetic, yet strong, Faramir gently drew her out of the "armor" she'd always worn. Faramir sensed she needed this release/freedom (Am I sounding like a cheesy romance novel?). This was something Aragorn couldn't give her. Couldn't picture Eowyn letting herself get teary in front of Aragorn about not having an eastward-facing window no matter how vulnerable she was. There was a sense of delight and soothing in Faramir's words & tone when he spoke to Eowyn. Under the emotional surface, she recognized this. She just had to permit herself to love someone this way.
Eowyn didn't settle for Faramir. They were (sniff) meant for each other.
 
Well, I finally had to put in my 2 cents after hearing this 2nd best theory about Faramir one too many times. Eowyn is so totally frustrated by all the constraints she must deal with. She's independent and doesn't want to sit back and "take it". She wants a piece of the action too and I think Aragorn telling her to stay home both hurt her and put her "over the edge". After that, she wasn't asking for anyone's permission. The rejection by Aragorn really set the ball rolling and our boy Faramir picked it up. :D
 
From Return of the King - [I said:
And Éowyn looked at Faramir long and steadily; and Faramir said: 'Do not scorn pity that is the gift of a gentle heart, Éowyn! But I do not offer you my pity. For you are a lady high and valiant and have
yourself won renown that shall not be forgotten; and you are a lady
beautiful, I deem, beyond even the words of the Elven-tongue to tell.
And I love you. Once I pitied your sorrow. But now, were you
sorrowless, without fear or any lack, were you the blissful Queen of
Gondor, still I would love you. Éowyn, do you not love me?'
Then the heart of Éowyn changed, or else at last she understood it. And suddenly her winter passed, and the sun shone on her.

There is another thing to consider in this situation, and that is Eowyn's knowledge of the interest of Grima Wormtongue. She was in close proximity to the King who was becoming more and more frail. She was, if you will, his primary care-giver. Grima was also almost constantly in the King's presence; he could not afford it to be otherwise lest someone wrest Theoden's will from his keeping. That means that day after day, Eowyn was subjected to Grima's "attentions" whether they were actually stated or not. Women know what it is like to be forced into close proximity with someone who "undresses" them with their eyes and whose every utterance may have a double meaning. Furthermore, as Grima grew in importance to Theoden, the King might not have been averse to a "match" between his trusted counsellor and his niece, especially as he had grown to mistrust Eomer. This sort of sexually charged situation can make the man/woman relationship into something ugly and degenerate in the mind of a maiden like Eowny.

Then, into this intolerable situation comes Aragorn. He is a breath of clean, fresh air: courageous, manly and courteous. No wonder the wounded, beset Eowyn casts her eyes on him as a means of fleeing her trap. After all, if he is in fact, the true King of Gondor - and she can interest him in her person - Theoden would gladly betroth her to him and move her forever beyond the reach of Grima and Theoden!

In the Houses of Healing, Grima is gone and, for all intents and purposes, so is Aragorn. The King is dead and her brother is King, so she need not fear that she will be unworthily wed. She has proven her strength and courage to even her satisfaction - after all, her name will live forever in the annals of Middle Earth as the maiden who slew the great Captain of the Nazgul. But after all that has happened, she still is "unwell"; her inner despair has not healed. The release of death has not come and the clash of arms and victory have proven less satisfactory than she had believed would be the case.

Into this "emptiness" comes Faramir. She knows his story and is drawn to his courage as she was drawn to Aragorn's. Also, he is fair of face but even more importantly, he is not "unmindful" of her as was her uncle and brother (except for their familial love, Eowyn of Rohan was still a woman and therefore of less importance than a male child would have been), nor is he "uninterested" in her as a woman as was Aragorn. Faramir is drawn to her as was Grima, but his "affection" does not fill her with rage and self-loathing. Furthermore, he treats her very much as an equal, a warrior proven in battle and worth of respect. This is new - and quite heady - for remember, Eowyn is yet very young. All of these conflicting emotions and impressions especially superimposed upon her physical suffering, would have the effect of acting very quickly and, hence, the "romance" between the future Prince of Ithilien and the Golden Lady of Rohan is born.

The situation may appear to be "convenient", but actually Tolkien does develop the matter quite fully if one is paying attention to the story as it progresses.

I honestly believe that Eowyn 'loved' Aragorn in a way, and it was unrequited, for Aragorn loved another. It was likely a surface crush infatuation, for at first Aragorn was still more 'Strider the Ranger' than the future 'king of Gondor/Arnor'. The circumstances of her not being allowed to accompany the Grey Company through the Paths of the Dead had set her onto her 'death-quest' of sorts, believing she couldn't die with him on his 'believed by the Rohirrim' death road he was taking. so would die in battle. She nearly did in her encounter with the Witch-king, and the near-death experience and the awakening to find one such as Faramir also ill with darkness, and hearing his words and expression of love, shattered her former beliefs. What give the OPs view of it being contrived is this one sentende...

Then the heart of Éowyn changed, or else at last she understood it. And suddenly her winter passed, and the sun shone on her.


A convenient close of the opened plot of Eowyn who may have initially been considered as Aragorn's ending love interest at one time during development of the story. One thing is for sure... it has led to a lot of fan-fiction!
 
There is another thing to consider in this situation, and that is Eowyn's knowledge of the interest of Grima Wormtongue. She was in close proximity to the King who was becoming more and more frail. She was, if you will, his primary care-giver. Grima was also almost constantly in the King's presence; he could not afford it to be otherwise lest someone wrest Theoden's will from his keeping. That means that day after day, Eowyn was subjected to Grima's "attentions" whether they were actually stated or not. Women know what it is like to be forced into close proximity with someone who "undresses" them with their eyes and whose every utterance may have a double meaning. Furthermore, as Grima grew in importance to Theoden, the King might not have been averse to a "match" between his trusted counsellor and his niece, especially as he had grown to mistrust Eomer. This sort of sexually charged situation can make the man/woman relationship into something ugly and degenerate in the mind of a maiden like Eowny.

Then, into this intolerable situation comes Aragorn. He is a breath of clean, fresh air: courageous, manly and courteous. No wonder the wounded, beset Eowyn casts her eyes on him as a means of fleeing her trap. After all, if he is in fact, the true King of Gondor - and she can interest him in her person - Theoden would gladly betroth her to him and move her forever beyond the reach of Grima and Theoden!

In the Houses of Healing, Grima is gone and, for all intents and purposes, so is Aragorn. The King is dead and her brother is King, so she need not fear that she will be unworthily wed. She has proven her strength and courage to even her satisfaction - after all, her name will live forever in the annals of Middle Earth as the maiden who slew the great Captain of the Nazgul. But after all that has happened, she still is "unwell"; her inner despair has not healed. The release of death has not come and the clash of arms and victory have proven less satisfactory than she had believed would be the case.

Into this "emptiness" comes Faramir. She knows his story and is drawn to his courage as she was drawn to Aragorn's. Also, he is fair of face but even more importantly, he is not "unmindful" of her as was her uncle and brother (except for their familial love, Eowyn of Rohan was still a woman and therefore of less importance than a male child would have been), nor is he "uninterested" in her as a woman as was Aragorn. Faramir is drawn to her as was Grima, but his "affection" does not fill her with rage and self-loathing. Furthermore, he treats her very much as an equal, a warrior proven in battle and worth of respect. This is new - and quite heady - for remember, Eowyn is yet very young. All of these conflicting emotions and impressions especially superimposed upon her physical suffering, would have the effect of acting very quickly and, hence, the "romance" between the future Prince of Ithilien and the Golden Lady of Rohan is born.

The situation may appear to be "convenient", but actually Tolkien does develop the matter quite fully if one is paying attention to the story as it progresses.
This, I too believe, is an excellent analysis of the [so-called] love triangle. (It really should be called a "love quadrilateral" because there's Arwen too 😄).
Indeed it incisive in explaining Eowyn's emotions in light of Grima's presence , and then his absence with the arrival of Aragorn and the others.

@Vardarianna is correct in saying Eowyn had a crush on Aragorn. She fell in love with the persona of Aragorn, not the person himself.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top