• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Eowyn or Merry hold the key to defeating the Witch-King?

Arvedui

Stargazer
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
1,960
Another topic from the Debate-Tournament:

Who was the primary factor in the death of the Witch-King, Eowyn or Merry?

Enjoy:)
 
I won this debate on the side of Merry, but really I didn't think it was the best topic: Neither of them could have slain the Witch-King without the other. I think their roles were completely equal, although Eowyn dealt the death blow.
 
We've discussed this before. . .I ought to drag up the conversation because it was one where I had the distinct pleasure of getting Grond to roll on the floor laughing. . .

Here we go. . .enjoy

I found it. . .I was a bit more off topic in those days. . .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's no doubt he was always "Killable" (Destroyable rather). It was just a joint act... Like a 125 lb kid can't tackle a senior A team football player... But 2 125lb kids can...

It's just about measuring the degree of effect each of them had on his slaying. Merry set em up, Eowyn knocked em down. And Merry COULD have set him up without Eowyn, although it would have been harder. I think Merry was more essential to his death, just because if it wasn't for Merry, the BC would have riegned lots more terror all over the place. Eowyn was just another casualty before Merry came along. But major props to Eowyn for knocking him down...
 
Merry made it possible to kill him but couldn't have killed him: Eowyn killed him but couldn't have made it possible to kill him. Without Eowyn, Merry wouldn't have even been there. Without Merry, Eowyn might not have delivered the final stroke. And around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around....
 
But how could either of them killed the Witch King if Eowyn didnt slay the Fell Beast before hand? I doubt Merry could have done that with his little blade. So in my eyes, Eowyn wins. It is very visible through this simple scoring system (Keep in mind these points are simply awarded on an achievmant basis... each feat is equal to the next): :D

EOWYN \\ MERRY

Defies Witch King... 1 pt. \\ Defies Witch King... 1 pt.
Kills Fell Beast.... 1 pt. \\ Stabs WK's leg... 1 pt.
Delivers Death Blow... 1 pt.\\

TOTAL 3 pts. \\ 2 pts.

Eowyn is the clear winner here! :D No one can dispute the almighty points.
 
I think that both Merry and Eowyn had equal importance and effect in the death of the witch-king. They couldn't have done with out the eachother, its my opinion:)
 
...like I said, around and around and around and around and stop-this-thing-I-want-to-get-off.

It can't be denied that in the book, by the other characters, Eowyn is regarded as the primary factor in the death of the Witch-King, and 'aided' by Merry.
 
Actually, Rhi, I dont agree with that last statement. I thought that Eowyn was severely underrated. There was a song about Merry fighting the Witch King, but no mention of the chief heroine.

But Im too lazy to find the book for quotes. Youll have to use your imagination. ;)
 
Originally posted by HLGStrider
We've discussed this before. . .I ought to drag up the conversation because it was one where I had the distinct pleasure of getting Grond to roll on the floor laughing. . .

Here we go. . .enjoy

I found it. . .I was a bit more off topic in those days. . .
And... I still love you Elgee!! ;):):D
 
Ahhh. . .I still love you too, Grond. . .
You know, if I'd done post that I'd be spam blasted (as opposed to sand blasted). . .And they say I get away with too much. ;)
 
Elgee my dear.... you do spam. The Grondster only types from the heart. :p
 
I suppose replying to that would be spam. . .sigh. . .

;)

Good to see you back on and posting.
 
Actually, Rhi, I dont agree with that last statement. I thought that Eowyn was severely underrated. There was a song about Merry fighting the Witch King, but no mention of the chief heroine.

But Im too lazy to find the book for quotes. Youll have to use your imagination.

...and of course I'm never too lazy to look up quotes :D Lessee what we got....

I'm coming up with no direct credit to either of them except what I was thinking of when I said that, which is a foot-note in the appendix explaining why Eowyn was known in the Mark as the 'Lady of the Shield-arm' -
For her shield-arm was broken by the mace of the Witch-King, but he was brought to nothing, and thus the words of Glorfindel long before to King Earnur were fulfilled, that the Witch-king would not fall by the hand of man. For it is said in the songs of the Mark that in this deed Eowyn had the aid of Theoden's esquire, and that he also was not a Man but a Halfling.

Of course it says 'in the Mark'- naturally they're more inclined to place the credit on their own princess.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top