• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

DuneDain Inn

He leaned forward and set his feet flat onto the floor. With his left hand palm down on the table, he held out his right hand for her to set the charm within it. "If I may?" He said calmly. He looked at it for some time. he flipped it over then back again and lightly rubbed the green stone set in its center. He lifted his left hand and tapped the stone with an outstretched finger. His expression one of deep thought, "You know, I have seen a stone such as this." He rubbed his chin. "They come out of Imladris, or at least, the elf I knew that sold it to me was from there. I had it set into the pommel of an elven made dagger. I call that one, The Cats Claw. It is apart of my collection." He cupped it in his hand and turned his hand and gestured for her to receive it. As she held her hand beneath his, he set the amulet softly into her palm then leaned back again in his chair nonchelantly.
 
*Listening carefully as he spoke, she could tell there was no lie in his voice. A flicker of hopeful interest passed through her thoughts, perhaps...* "Would you be able to show me this piece? If you are correct in that it came from where you say... *She stopped in thought.* "But I must know, was the stone part of anything else, or perhaps you might know who sold it to you?"
 
He tapped his lip in thought as he listened. "Well, now that you mention it, it was my impression that it was part of a ring, though all that I saw was a bit of a charred setting around it." He smiled dryly. "However, names are another matter altogether. I could not give you the gentlemans name. He specifically requested to retain his...anonymity."
 
*Not surprised of this news she nodded her head slightly. Could it truly be like this!? Might this be where it was brought, this man had it in his shop? She locked her eyed on his, a strong, unwavering gaze.* "Please show me. I need to be sure of something and must see it with my own eyes."
 
His face showed real surprise. "What...now? Could it perhaps wait until I re-open tomarrow? The night grows late does it not and I have naught for a bite of food this day." He looked at her glumly.
 
"Perhaps you are right. I had lost track of the time... But it can't wait too long." *She looked slightly disappointed at this but it passed quickly, leaving an almost blank look but for the sparkle in her eyes.* "What shall we have then? It has been a while since I last had a good meal." *Her gaze drifted over the room, not really looking at anything but taking in the lay of the small place. Finally she looked back at the empty glass in her hand.* "And perhaps another drink would be good."
 
Sullan spirits rose at the thought of a hot meal and he lifted his hand and waved at the sleepy innkeeper. "A bottle of wine my good man, and some beef perhaps!" After his announcement, he settled back to Duath. he lifted his mug to his mouth and said, "Now miss, could I at least trouble you for your...real name?" before he took another drink and set it back down again.
 
*What was this now!? Her face darkened for hardly a moment before a small smile curled her lips.* "My 'real name'? Do you not trust that the one I gave you is my name? Do you even know what I am?' *The glittering blue eyes laughed though she waited in silence.*
 
He smiled dryly at her. "Come now miss, Duath was a good choice, but just off the mark." I know what you are, but, it is the who that I am interested to know, and as you can see, we are quite alone here." He made a broad gesture with his hands. "I am a man who has nothing to hide. Can we not brings ourselves to such a level?"
 
*Her eyes narrowed as she listened. Something was different about this man. He cough on almost to quickly. Looking around, indeed the room was empty but for the two of them. The bar-man had gone to get their order and no other guests had come. She thought in silence, his eyes never leaving her for more then a moment. Finally she spoke.* "I will tell you my name, but only if you will give me reason to. As I have said, I only hide that which must be kept safe and I think you might be the only one I have yet meet that seems to know anything about this little stone. And if I may, you also are the one that will be paying for our dinner, sir." *The smile was back, yet no more then the little curve to her lips that had faded earlier.*
 
She noticed a droplets of sweat appear just above his brow just then, and she could smell his fear though he did not allude to it outwardly. "Dinner then..ofcourse. It is not my intent to provoke you miss, its just that." He paused and leaned forward slightly. "Well, only shifters carry such stones. It was long thought that they had all died long ago." He said in a hushed tone.
 
"'Shifters'? what do you mean by that?" *Her voice was calm as she watched him. A thought coming to her mind that she hopped might be proven wrong by his next words. Had the stories come so far, or was this something else entirely..? No matter, she needed him to trust her, even in the smallest way. A smile softened her face as a strand of dark hair slipped across her cheek.* "I am sorry. I have not spent much time in this land and have never heard many of the tales that you may know."
 
Last edited:
In the growing dark, a figure moved silently across the plain. Not much could be seen of the being, save that it was cloaked, tall, and slender, and also moved with great ease and a quick step. The land was familiar for she had traveled it before. Though, not in recent years. There was very little change though. The town would be in view once she crested the large hill before her. Though she would not reach it this night. There was a small plateau, just below and on the opposite side of the hill, that was strewn about with boulders. "This is a good place to make camp." She had fortunately collected enough wood for a fire at her last camp site and she soon had a merry blaze going. She ate some dried fruit and bread, then sat staring into the fire for some time, then looked off into the distance and saw faint lights from the town. She finally spread out her bedroll and drifted off to sleep.
 
His fear subsided at the hint of her interest. "Do you not know the tale?" He said as the Innkeeper set a large round platter down in front of them at the center of their table. He looked at it hungrily. He took one of the plates on the platter and set it in front of him. He grabbed a large fork and knife that was stuck into the small roast and he cut several slices. He held 2 between the utensils and gestured toward her. He looked up at her with a smile seemingly forgetful of what he had just asked her.
 
*Picking up a plate, she took some of the meat before looking back up.* "Thank you. No, I think I would remember a tale if ever I had heard it. Will you tell it to me over our fine meal?" *She waved her hand at the hot rost and the loaf of fresh bread that had come with it. Deciding to have a good evening, she leaned back and enjoyed the first juicy bite.*
 
Between bites he began. "Well, it is unknown where these shifters originally came from however, it was pity and love perhaps that stayed their extinction. For many years, these shifters were hunted like animals in the wild. Men held high prices for their heads and even more if they were captured. It was when an elf maiden was captured by a shifter that really changed their fate." He paused and took a large bite of meat and bread. Sullan lifted his mug and took a large swallow then set it back down. He fingered some bread and continued. "For many months this shifter held her captive as he traveled the land and told his story. It is said that it was so sad that this maiden began to feel sorrow for his people and became enamored with him. Ofcourse, this point is in refute at present. Many think that he ravaged her and had her bear him children. In any case, that was where the story ends and where the stone I have begins. You see, I believe the stone I possess to be this creatures stone." He smiled and took a large bite of beef.
 
Last edited:
"And do you believe this tale to be true? You make it sound as thought these 'shifters' were more beast then man, were they not just wanderers? *A small pice of bread soaked up some of the juice on her plate, her eyes fixed on it. Her face showed no hint of any emotion nor did she try to keep his gaze. Perhaps she could tell him more of this tale after all... though not how he may think.*
 
He looked at her strangely and his eyes took on a quizical glow. "Well, it was said that before the cross breeding, many of these shifters walked on two feet and four feet. However, the half elf shifters look like elves or men but would transform into beasts...panthers or some other large feline I believe.It is all real sketchy and most of it was second or third hand, but quite interesting wouldn't you agree?" His expression changed to smugness. "However, there is the matter of your real name. What harm could befall you by entrusting it to me? I see so many people and learn their names, what is one more...really?" He smiled at her.
 
Sartin had beed sleeping on a table for the time being. He hadn't known what was going on, he then jolted awake by a sudden lurch of his stomach."Oh food. Anyone here want something to eat,drink,or anything at all?" He quietly sat for an answer, ready to go and get the things they need. But when he saw they had food, he shrugged and turned to Sullan. "Could you wtch the bar while I'm in the back?"
 
The wanderer suddenly bolted upright. She yelled out: "No!! You cannot do this!" Then she realized that she was alone. The vision of the man had disappeared. Glancing at the fire, the woman saw that it had almost gone out. All that could be seen of it now, were the hot coals and a faint flicker now and then. She got up and dropped a few more logs on and they quickly blazed up once again. She sat again for some time gazing into the flames. It was a cold night and she pulled her cloak tighter and moved in closer to the fire. This was not the first time that she had had that dream. The man was doing something terrible but she could never see what it was. The man's face was not very clear either. She shook her head and mumbled to herself. "It was just a dream. Why are you so worried about a dream?" The answer came quickly, Because mine often come true. She shook her head as if to clear her mind. Dropping the last of the wood on the fire, she lay down and went back to sleep.
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top