• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

DuneDain Inn

*Her face lifted slightly, her calm eyes searching his.* "I have heard of such beings. They were known to me as the Meoigwaith. They were a people of the woods and roads. Wanderers, hunters and, as you can imagine, friends of the elves for their similarities. They were no more monsters or beasts then the woman speaking with you." *Her eyes showed a slight glitter but no hint of what it meant. After looking around, she knew that no others were there to hear them. Her eyes went back to his in a moment of silence, then, barely nodding, she decided to tell a little.* "The name I gave you is that of my brother. I am known to my mothers people as Olheri, though I have not used that name for nearly a year now. Not while traveling."
 
Last edited:
What he heard did not sink in completely, however he felt as if he had heard something significant. It was all right there on the edge of his mind. It dangled precariously between comprehension and suspicion but only one question came to him. With confusion on his face he asked, "and who is your mothers people?"
 
*She smiled a little at his look of confusion.* "Can you not tell? My mother was an elf, where she was born I do not know but she raised us in Rivendell so I think of them as her people." *She looked down at her glass, still empty. She pushed it towards him and waited for him to see it.* "But you have asked enough for now. I should like to ask where you are from. You seem to know the stories of this place, has this always been your home?" *She had leaned forward slightly, laying her arms on the table, her hands placed one on top of the other in front of her.*
 
He had become fascinated with what he presumed to be true. At a slight annoyance he lifted the wine bottle, filled her glass, then set it back down again quickly. "Myself? Well, I have been here for quite a while to be sure but it was not always so." He smiled as if he enjoyed to speak of himself. "I grew up in Minus Ithil and spent a great deal of time with my nose in books. I learned much from their libraries, for I was no soldier. My father was a successful merchant there and often I would mind the shop. He requested that I travel the country a little and would always tell me that not all things can be learned in books. Relunctantly I left and traveled the land. I stayed in Rivendell for quite some time and learned their languages. I Traveled all through Gondor and Rohan. I met an interesting fellow that called himself worm-tongue in Edoras. He sent me to see his master..a wizard by trade. His name was Saruman. I stayed with him many weeks and he made available much of his library which was quite extensive. He showed me...many things." His brow contorted if only but a moment. "and sent me about this way and I have been here ever since."
 
*She thought it was interesting that he could know some of the elven tongue, but her interest in that vanished as he continued. Worm-tounge? Saruman? She had heard some things about them, but he had talked to them!?* "Was that all you did there, Saruman simply let you have your way with his books..? I find that hard to believe. I have heard few good things about such men, though I have never had the pleasure to meet this wizard." *Her voice was almost cold as the last words were spoken. Reaching for her glass, she took a slow drink before setting it back down. Her eyes were beginning to look dull, though this could have been from many things. Shaking herself slightly, she pushed the glass away and picked up a small piece of bread, her hunger not what it had been.* "But you say you have been to Rivendell. When was this? I do not think I have ever known many men to wander in and out of that land. Though there were times I was not there..."
 
He chuckled lightly. "Oh, for a time, I was their uninvited guest to be sure. I was allowed ot move about but not to leave. I explained who I was and why I had come. I shared with them many stories and bits of lore that I had found along the way. As well as selections from some of the books I have read. I think they found me rather...interesting. At any rate, my status changed and I was no longer a prisoner there and so I was allowed to leave. My stay in Saruman's tower was not exactly what I had expected either. You see, I had to...make a few oaths to him. But, I considered it a fair trade for the knowledge that he had stored there in that black tower of his." He looked at her with darker eyes.
 
"Oaths?" *Her eyes locked on his, a slight shiver running down her spine as she though what he might mean. His eyes worried her now, a darkness had grown there that made her want to look away, but she could not pull her gaze from his. She tried to keep her face calm, yet a little of her fear showed in her eyes.*
 
Sartin nods at the newcomer and rushes to get their order, he comes back sometime later with her tankard and steak. He then sat down to listen in again to the conversation. "Ehem, pardon me for butting in but...What oaths are you talking about Sullan?" He shrugged and listened. Sartin then heard a loud clank and he started mumbling curses. A small Jack Russiell came bounding in the room and jumped onto Duath's lap and fell asleep. "Sorry for the dog but you can't really move him when he is asleep.
 
He gives a sidelong glance to the door, then settles his eyes back to her. "Well, sometimes knowledge has a price, one I was willing to pay. It was no easy thing, do not get me wrong, however, there is much at stake here and now. Soon, darkness will rain down upon us all and make victims of those who get in its way. I do not intend to be among them. Surely you can understand the need for self preservation can you not?" He turned to the Innkeeper, and gestured. "Sartin, be a good man and take this tray for us would you please? It appears my company has suddenly lost their appetite." He smiled at her, stood, and buttoned his coat. "Tomarrow then, my shop?" He nodded not waiting for her to respond. "Very good, I shall see you there." He moved past the bar and nodded to the woman sitting there. "Evening." He said courteously as he exited the Inn.
 
*She sat in silence for a little. Her mind was slowing and thoughts kept coming and going in a confusing blur. What did he mean about not being in the way..? She felt cold as his words began to sink in. Looking around, she caught sight of the Innkeeper taking the tray from the table.* "Do you have a small room?" *He nodded, walking with him to the bar she traded some coins for a key. The room was nothing much but as she quickly found the bed in the dark, she curled up under the covers and soon drifted off to sleep.*
 
Last edited:
Sartin nods. "They are only a few coins. But need about a few silver coins for the master bedroom." He starts to wipe off the tables while Shuak the dog licked at the extras. " Well, do you need anything else?"
 
The sun spilled through the door as Olheri walked in. "I trust that my room has not been touched?" She glanced at Sartin, who nodded with a smile. 'No, it still is yours. Though you'd better get your things out before lunch, unless you want to stay longer...' It was almost a question and she let it stay unanswered for now. "Thank you, sir." Walking back to the room, she collected her bag and a few loose items from her rush that morning.

When finished, she made her way back to one of the tables and ordered a small meal and a cup of water. She would have a little time to think now...
 
She opened her eyes to see a tinge of pink in the eastern horizon. Standing up she streched, then bent over to pull some bread from her shoulder pack. The traveler rolled up her bedroll and prepared to move on as she munched on the bread. It wasn't long before she slung her pack over her shoulder and was ready to move on, but she stood still for a little while and watched as the sun slowly made its way over the rim of a distant hill. She then turned and set her face toward the distant town. The traveler paced herself, knowing that it would be several hours before she reached it. "No need to rush. I should be there at the dinner hour. Just in time for the evening meal at the crowded inns." she said dryly.
 
Last edited:
Daranavo thought that the beds at the other Inn were much nicer then here. His back ached mildly and sometime during the night he set to sleep upon the floor. He was famished and the hour had grown late. He dressed in a white long sleeved shirt that had furls on the cuffs and was a "v" neck that had draw strings to cinch it to his neck. However, he hated that feeling and left it open exposing part of his chest. He wore dark brown leather pants, boots and belt and had a rectangular silver buckle. On his right hip hung a scabbard and contained within it was his ornate rapier. Its lavishly decorated hilt and pommel set high atop it. The Inn was filling up fast and he decided to grab a table before he would be forced to settle for a seat at the bar which he detested. He sat down at his favorite table, one that sat the furthest from the bar as possible. He ordered an ale, put his feet up on an adjacent chair and tried to relax.

He felt for sure that he was being folllowed. The man he met at the Grey Hill Inn all but confirmed his suspicions. Perhaps later he will go have a smoke and check in on Gaidon.
 
Olheri watched as people filled the room. Some stumbling slightly and others just taking their time getting wherever it was they were going. The food had not been brought out and it looked as though it might by a while yet. It was as she looked across at the door to the back rooms that she saw him. Her gaze had caught sight of the white shirt, pulling on her curiosity, but it was his face that held her. He had found a table only one or two down from hers. The little curl showed on her lips. How could she get his attention?

Waiting quietly, she had seen something that would easily work to her advantage. Two men had just walked past where she sat, the jingle of coins coming from the closest one's pocket. Pulling the hood of her cape up to hide her face but letting the length of her dark hair show, she reached out and pulled on the man's jacket pocket.

It was perfect. He had spun around, face scowling as he grabbed her thin wrist. 'A pickpocket is it!? We'll be seeing about that!' He was not all that strong but it was enough to pull Olheri to her feet, one hand clinging desperately to the captured arm, her eyes sparkled (he thought it from tears) and her voice sounded frightened and pitiful. "Please! I am sorry sir. Meant no harm, honestly! please sir. Let me go..." Whimpering and trying to pull away from his grasp, she could tell that this had drawn the attention of everyone. The man released her suddenly, letting her land in a sobbing heap on the hard floor. It was a good thing her face was now well hidden under the hood, for a smile had flashed across her face at the thought that she truly was getting better at this little game.
 
Last edited:
The man standing above her was about to grab her up when another hand came into view and stayed him. He looked up into Daranavo's eyes with outrage. Daranavo said in a cool tone, "Now thats no way to be treating a lady now is it?" The man broke his grasp away and replied angrily, "I caught her after me purse and tis no business of yours." His friend added, "Yeah now bugger off." Daranavo looked down at the mans side and eyed his purse. "Your purse looks quite intact, perhaps you were mistaken and the lass...The man cut him off. "She's a thievin whore an I aims to learn her." His friend chuckled. "Yeah." Daranavo felt his agitation growing. He turned his body and faced the hall with hands on hips and exposed his rapier to them. The two men glanced at it as he spoke. "Well, I think the two of you need a lesson in manners, shall we step outside?" He turned to face them again and paused. His glaring eyes and his words had seemingly took the wind out of the two men. The first said, "Bah," he looked at his friend, "she ain't worth the time anyways, less go eh." Hearing that Daranavo relaxed and watched them leave. he looked down at the woman sobbing upon the floor and he knelt down to her. Talk had resumed in the Inn and people struck back up their conversations. He gently touched her chin and tilted it up. "It's ok, your safe now miss." He smiled reassuringly at her and held his hand out to help her to her feet.
 
Tears glistened on her cheeks, her hair making a dark web on the damp skin. Her eyes had been closed when he caught her chin but blinked open as he tilted her face up. She was thankful that it had worked, but now she felt foolish as he looked at her, her eyes not meeting his face. Slowly one hand reached up, shyly excepting his help. "Thank you, my lord." Her voice just above a whisper and her gaze fixed on the floor as she stood in front of him. She wanted to shiver, there was something about him...but she could not think what. What a fool you are Olheri! Now what will you do!? Her mind raced, a slight rosy blush coloring the tops of her cheeks.
 
Last edited:
Daranavo did not know what to make of her expressions however he felt that she was from harm at the moment and he relaxed. He heard another woman's voice and reluctantly let go of her hand and turned around to greet this other woman who approached them.

He bowed to the woman who called herself Elise and said, "Well met miss Morelen, I am Daranavo Savoy." He held out his hand to her and when she took his he leaned over and kissed her knuckle lightly. "A pleasure," he said as he released her hand and straightened. Politely as possible he added, "I do believe you are mistaken about this woman. It is not proper to say such things unless you know them to be true." He turned back to the other woman and asked, "Are you hurt miss?" He looked her over for obvious signs.
 
Olheri had merely nodded at the woman but her eyes flashed at the playful threat. Her attention, however, went back to the man as he spoke. What!? Was this the same man? She didn't know what to do, only shaking her head slightly at his question. "No. I am all right..." She rubbed her wrist absentmindedly. "Thank you, sir...for helping. I am not a thief. I..." Without thinking, her eyes met his and her words vanished.
 
"Perhaps we should all just have a seat and enjoy the evening?" He looked back at her as she defended herself and looked at him. Their eyes locked onto each other and he was shocked at how quickly such a small thing could spin out of control here. Perhaps this Inn has been plagued by thieves of late, he was not sure. He was sure however that this woman did not seem the thieving sort and he was not the type to assume the worst of a person whom he did not know himself. As he looked into her eyes he said with a slight smile, "Do nay worry miss, this has all been a great misunderstanding. I am Daranavo, may I ask your name?"
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top