"It would have been easier for
Barliman Butterbur to have led the
Hobbits safely to
Rivendell by himself than to convince one from
Harad to change their mind, even based on logical facts."
-JRR Toklien, Letter #669
From The Letters of JRR Toklien Vol II
I think I shouldn't bother, but......
If the
Dwarves were mining for
Mithril, the #1 'quarried' substance in ME, isn't it a likely posibility that:
A.
Durin VI was down there checking things out/supervising at the time The
Balrog was released.
B. He went down to see why the daily lode of Mithril hadn't been brought up.
Then, he's like a bug in a bug zapper.
I doubt that the Balrog would have had to go out of the immediate area to kill a # of 'greedy' Dwarves who were quite concerned about their Mithril supply.
Look how
Thorin acted in
Erebor after
Smaug was killed.
And since the Balrog took off in The
War of Wrath, hid in the
mountains for 5400 years, and NEVER left
Moria after being released, I think we can assume that DB was the ME equivelant of Greta Garbo ("I vant to be alone)......
Again, there's no evidence that anyone ever lived who had a good look at
Durin's Bane.
AND, how about THIS one:
Gandalf had previously been in Moria.
How do you know that his purpose wasn't to see what took down
Khazad-Dum?
What is the Tale of Years going to say?
2690 3rd Age: Gandalf enters Moria to look for Durin's Bane & finds nothing?
>>>So just as they kept track of
Dol Guldur (not too well admittedly) they do
some investigative work with regards to Moria.
Big difference.
Dol Gulder was known to be a stronghold built SPECIFICALLY by a powerful but unknown enemy to the 'West' or '
The Wise'.
No new kingdom was set up in Moria; it was just desolate after some unknown subteranean monster was released.
I know, years later,
Orcs populated Moria, but they were hardly operating as a functionally offensive force, but were there to cover any passage between East & West of the Mountains.
Even the fact that DB was released from underground, when coupled with Gandalf's comment about unknown things in the deeps of the earth would certainly lead any rational person (yeah, I know what most of you will say to that. LOL!) to conclude that some unknown monster was released.
BTW, If anybody was the dummy here, it was
Sauron.
HIS Orcs were in Moria. Didn't one of them ever see DB & report back? Remember, the Orcs were scared of DB, but they weren't all fried in a minute when he showed up in FOTR.
And, who's name was branded on
Thror's head, saying HE was now
Lord of Moria?
Durin's Bane? 'Not known to be living Balrog'?
No,
AZOG.
These facts would indicate that they saw little of DB and they were 'OK' with DB; after all, he'd seen his share of Orcs in
Angband I'm sure....