• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

S02 E01: 🧝Elven Kings Under the Sky

I finally decided to start watching Season 2 over the weekend. Never saw S1, don’t really intend to at the moment (I’ve read all the episodic commentary here), but the trailers and discussions for S2 intrigued me enough to give it a try.

Honestly, I didn’t think it was horrible. In fact, I actually kind of liked it (by “it” I mean certain things about it). I have no idea why Adar is so against Sauron, but him and Halbrand/Sauron were by far the most interesting characters to me. I liked Adar’s design, his behavior, and his presence. I enjoyed watching Halbrand encounter Adar and almost play him while maintaining his charade. Their scenes, from the opening prologue on through and in Mordor, were dark, grim, gory, and interesting to watch. I also appreciated the design of the Orcs, being scary, brutal, and grotesque.

The Elves… eh. Aside from the glaring personal problem I have with many of the male Elves lacking long hair, I wasn’t a huge fan of how Gil-Galad, Elrond, Galadriel, or others have been treated. They are not the same characters I love from SIL and LOTR. Círdan, however, I thought they did a decent job with his appearance and character.

Regardless, I quite enjoyed watching the episode and found myself looking forward to the next. I’m not going to scrutinize and nitpick the logic of the plot, because I know it’s crazy and vastly different from anything established in the books. I’m taking Ent’s advice and enjoying it for what it is, as a fantasy show based on Tolkien’s works. All the drama over whether or not to use the Three Elven Rings and what impact they’ll have, okay. Fine. I’m not going to spend my time complaining about it, even if it makes little sense.

As an aside, I do find many of the locations and scenery to be beautiful (or not, in Mordor’s case), and I can do my own imagining of what life would have been like for the real Tolkien characters living in Lindon or Eregion or wherever. It was also nice to see Círdan’s folk working on crafting ships by hand in the workshop. To this end, I enjoyed seeing locations visually realized.
 
Well. I like how the shadow of Sauron is represented - adding discord, mistrust, it has a genuine feeling (as of the influence it has over the place and its inhabitants). I feel like the Orcs just follow blindly the source of power that is current and that seems to win over. Why? Well, Adar has a more complex role as one of the tortured Eru firstborns, and I feel his inner revenge is a bit different from what the orcs feel. I don't think they are really innerly bothered. They just love to live a simple life of brutality. So to me it is Adar's personal feeling and competition for power. Lesser orcs just love to kill and feed from gruesome ambience of barbarianism. So ... yes, I have read comments over the web about how orcs felt, I don't thinks it is the ORCS as a whole, just him. Otherwise the pace was still slow and I don't see much lessons learnt for now since S.1. By the staff. Given the fact they must have started filming at an earlier stage, I hope differences will show up for the better later on, if they have made a research on fanbase recommendations, which is my high hope. Idk, I got used to the fact it will contain some modern-day American stuff and will reflect ego-trips and stuff, but I can see it has been smoothed a bit and .... well, the gentle and polite tone is preserved, values are seen, in general, I am hopeful for ep 2. The inner dialogue is deep, I guess I like the internal dynamics, just maybe a bit more action would be nice.
 
I finally found time to start watching season two and, like others, thought it was an improvement on season one. I think it's better that Gandalf (or the stranger) is now cogent. His wandering into the wilderness (any biblical parallel intended?) with Nori explains why Gandalf has an affection for Hobbits. Sauron being human but clever and manipulative works well in explaining his back story. Galadriel is still her annoying self but she's not such a dominant character now. It was good to meet up with Cirdan the shipwright who looked the part and conveyed wistfulness for the west (Valinor) well. The Grey Havens seemed more primitive here than in PJ's trilogy but maybe that fits better for the second age?
 
So I haven't been able to pick up ROP on dvd and don't have any streaming services, so I've only seen the odd online clip of the various episodes.
I have to say that Adar, who I believe is the leader of the Orcs, fits uncannily what I have always thought of as the transition from Elf to Orc - in the sense that I'm following the (perhaps) canonical idea that Morgoth captured Elves and 'corrupted' them - or could we even say 'developed' them to their full potential...
So annoyed that it's not available on dvd!
 
Did anyone else think of Terminator II with the horrible black oozy liquid Sauron?
I did! When oozy Sauron made his way to the cart of the innocent passerby I thought of the liquid terminator being able to take the shape of those it touched.

However, I also thought of The Blob (Steve McQueen version, of course) when oozy Sauron was eating the cave critter.
 
No animals were harmed during the making of this programme - I hope!
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…