• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

S02 E03: The 🦅Eagle and the Sceptre

Erestor Arcamen

Assistant to the forum owner
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
7,877
I thought the whole 'Pharazon' chant started by his son was a bit far-fetched for the coup. And I get Earian was created to be the family outcast that supports Pharazon, but they seriously need to bring Anárion in at some point. Overall, enjoyed this episode.
 
I'm conflicted about Celebrimbor. On the one hand I admire the ambition of a craftsman to perfect his craft. And I feel sorry that he seems bound to meet a sticky end. But isn't he being wilfully blind to the true nature of Sauron the White who seems even more evil and cunning than Sauron the Grey? He's putting personal ambition above the obvious danger to Middle Earth posed by Sauron and the Rings of Power.

And wouldn't Durin junior be wiser to pretend to be all for the proposal of Annatar (=Sauron) given that his father opposes him in everything - but I guess that's not the way of dwarves.

I was sorry they had to write Bronwyn out but I gather Nazanin Boniadi has moved on to other things now.

Berek the orc killer horse was quite a moment. I didn't see why Pharazon walking towards the eagle meant he should be the new ruler though Miriel being blind is a negative for her.

And did Sauron really direct the killers of the elf messengers? How did he manage to do that? Also why the reaction of Elendil to the Palantir? Sauron hasn't been transformed into a flaming eye yet.
 
I just got around to finishing this episode. I wonder some of the same things as Rivendell_librarian. I really don't understand the strong reaction against the palantir. If it was considered so bad, why did they even have it around?
 
My thoughts on this episode, and the Numenor parts in general, is it gets shorted and shallowed out due to the limited screentime given it. If they had given a whole season of eight episodes strictly on Numenor, it likely would have come across clearer with the 'why' questions. I like the visuals of Numenor for the most part, but Numenoreans come across as quite fickle... changing their minds on a whim it seemed. Along with the 'why' the Palantir was evil is the 'why' was the arrival of the eagle interpreted the way it was. Anyway, Rings of Power is what it is. I enjoy it to a degree, but wish the writing and episode presentation format was better and different.
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top