Ok so first of all I think there has been way too much fuss about the
Galadriel/
Elrond kiss. They were only nth cousins nth removed and future mother-in-law doesn't actually mean much when the time period is nearly 2000 years - even to
Elves I would think! And
Tolkien isn't against romance in his writings! And in time of war ...
Now I'm not a big fan of big battle scenes but at least in this one some of the main characters were either killed or seriously wounded, though I thought Rian would have made a good right hand woman for Galadriel in future
battles. Still she did die heroically a la
Boromir. It's certain that
Adar and
Celebrimbor are doomed - probably the two best parts in series two but
Annatar=
Sauron is too powerful now.
And we didn't get the "delve too deep" line repeated which was a relief, but did
Durin IV really need the whole of their army to stop dad provoking the sleeping
Balrog (might not be actually sleeping). It did set up the anti-climactic ending with the
dwarves not coming over the hill at sunrise which was good for a change.
There has also been some fuss about the closing music but given the episode ended with the
orcs on top wasn't it appropriate to have
orc style marching music?
This episode was an improvement on episode 6.