• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Eärendil tattoo

maax223

New Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2018
Messages
3
I am planning on getting a tattoo of the name "Eärendil", written in Elvish, but I am not totally sure of how to spell it properly, or even which dialect I should use.
I have used some online translators, and researched online, but I would like to have some input and opinions on the technicalities of the writing.
From my research, it would be logical to use Quenya, since it is a name from an old tale.
From what I seem to find online, here is attached what I believe to be the correct spelling. I circled in yellow the word in the attached image.
Does this make sense?
Thank you in advance!
 

Attachments

  • 8746984039_db0c9dbca6_b__01.jpg
    8746984039_db0c9dbca6_b__01.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 57
From a quick glance, your example shows the name Earendil in an English context, and I noticed, just for example, the choice for -nd- there, which echoes a "general use" mode for English. In the classical Quenya mode, the letter for -nd- does not need a horizontal line above it.

Here's (at the link below) a full, classical Quenya version. The name in the link starts with two short carriers for the first two vowels.

https://www.jrrvf.com/glaemscrafu/english/aiyaearendil.html
 
Interesting! I see what you mean, it was really "translated" directly from english... That's the kind of technicality I was worried about.

Thank you for that example, it's very helpful.
 
Just to add, from a purely visual standpoint, I like the name in the Mode of Beleriand best:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32039090@N02/8824080752/

Here (in the lower two lines of this image) the Quenya name is in a Sindarin context, and
written in a "full mode" like the surrounding Sindarin. And technically you could employ attested Sindarized forms Aerendil or Aerennel too (though these were said to be casual and accidental forms, from an in-story perspective), but I doubt I could find an example on the web of these forms written in the Mode of Beleriand.

The classical Quenya mode is still very nice, no doubt, and makes sense for a Quenya name, obviously. I'm just blathering about my subjective visual taste with this name.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top