• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🧝Elf or Man: which race is better to be?

Joined
Feb 13, 2002
Messages
198
I have to write a argumentive paper for one of my classes, and I've decided to do mine on which race of Tolkien's would be better to be, an Elf or a Man?

What are your opions? Whichis better?

Let's try to go over everything, like the gift of Men(death).

I'm leaning toward being a Man because of the Gift of Men. When you think about it, it probrably sucks to live FOREVER.
 
What about the whole living until the end of the world thing? That's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time! Wouldn't it get boring?

I would be a half-elf. Then I could be jolly all the time and have elvish foresight but still be able to die once I finally got bored. Who wants to wonder around the halls of Mandos that long? :eek:
 
I would get History of Middle Earth 10 (Morgoth's Ring) out of the library, and read the dialogue of Finrod and Andreth which is also discussed in the following threads: 1 2 3
The discussion centres on why a particular elf did not take Andreth (a mortal) for his wife. It gives voice to those things that are a grief to the elves, and might help balance your work.
 
Eledhwen said:
I would get History of Middle Earth 10 (Morgoth's Ring) out of the library, and read the dialogue of Finrod and Andreth which is also discussed in the following threads: 1 2 3
The discussion centres on why a particular elf did not take Andreth (a mortal) for his wife. It gives voice to those things that are a grief to the elves, and might help balance your work.

Thanks alot!! :D Sounds like excellent advice. I'll check to see if Lenoir-Rhyne has Morgoth's Ring. I'll also check out the threads as soon as I can. :D
 
I am leaning towards elves. Why should it be so boring to hang around Valinor? Imagine the stories, the knowledge, the people.. After all, the source of creativity/creation is there. And who knows how boring it is outside Ea :). And with Melkor around to tell stories ;)
 
Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,Men,.

As even the powers shalll envy in the end, so the valar will want to die so men should be relived as they do.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top