• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🧝Elven 👑King

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Joined
Feb 5, 2002
Messages
222
this is either a frightfully easy, of stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway:

Anyone know who the Elven King is in the Hobbit?
 
i don't think that's a stupid question..afterall Tolkien never did mention the king's name in the book..
 
Yep. That's what I meant. As for easy, well, there must be hundreds of people around here who know it, having read ALL books SEVERAL times... but surely a reader of the Hobbit alone would have no clue. (Tolkien probably gave the guy a name only after publishing the Hobbit).
 
I've read all the books but never realised that Thranduil was the elven king. Most of the dates never stay in my head for long anyway.

Thanks for the help though, was getting annoyed as you quite rightly mentioned Ithilin, that its never mentioned in the Hobbit.

cheers people!
 
Elindil, it depends what Elven King were talking about. The elven king in the White Council that helped drive Sauron out? I was saying that he might be Celeborn, because the question asker never clearly asked what Elves we were talking about. He could have very well been talking about Elrond or Gilgalad
 
There was no Elf in the white concil at that point . Tolkien was still usnure as to who was in the White Council, and even in the fourth revisions of some early LoTR chapters, claim that the 'White Council' is made up of Wizards. (HoME 7) and Saruman hadn't even emerged yet.

Galadriel only came to evolve, in LoTR, as HoME 4 and 5 show us, she didn't even exist before then and the same for Celeborn.
 
I think a few of you have gotten a bit lost in your replies (MorgulKing). My original question was about the identity of the Elven king in the Hobbit.

I'll take it as Thranduil as mentioned below, anyone know better, then please let me know.

Cheers

ssgrif

:)
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top