• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🧝Elvish Tatto help ? please

In the languages we would have: Q. atar S. adar


As for the writing, I can only describe the characters using the numbered chart in The Return of the King, while others can actually (and magically) make them appear in the thread (so I usually wait for that to happen).

You could write English 'father' using the elvish letters too, but I assume you wanted a translation and a transcription here. Also, Sindarin adar for example, could look different depending on which mode you choose (the Mode of Beleriand as seen on the Doors of Moria uses a 'full letter' for a for instance).

http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_beleriand.htm


And by the way, 'huzzah' on choosing a simple tattoo that includes a word actually attested by Tolkien himself!
 
By the way, I just noticed that in the link I posted above there's a sample text (bottom of the page) in which can be found the words...

Aníron teithad i lam Thingol a Daeron o...

... as part of an example also transcribed in the Mode of Beleriand. If you look at the corresponding Elvish characters for 'a Daeron' (second line of Elvish transcription) you can see what S. adar 'father' will look like in this mode.

In other words, look at the Elvish letters that correspond to the Roman letters I coloured in the quote here.
 
Thanks! I would like to use adar is just a matter of having it drawn up correctly. I've wantef this tattoo for a few years just now a matter of what it will look like.
 
Here's a way to write adar using diacritics (the three dots above the characters represent the vowel a here) -- looking at the second word of course, as the first line reads Ae adar nín...

http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/language.htm


And as you can already figure out the mode of Beleriand from my example in the link, that's two ways at least.

Hmmm, the link doesn't seem to bring one directly to the image, so you may have to click on the calligraphy section, then click on New Calligraphy Fragments by D. Daniel Andriës
 

Today's events

Back
Top