This Essay on Eowyn has some great insights in to the character. I don't agree with everything Laineth has written here, but it is worth a read-through.
A very interesting read Halasían. Thank you for posting it.
As you, I do not totally agree with all stated within the review but it is a very thorough and thoughtful argument which puts forth many salient points.
My biggest argument with it has to do with the use of the term,
toxic masculinity. The term in itself is sexist and prejudicial. The fact that
Eowyn is raised in an atmosphere of masculinity in an age of war is obvious. That the behavior of
Rohan's warriors (of which all males of a certain age can be variously included) is
toxic I do not agree. How should such
men have behaved? As accountants or computer programmers?
I believe in discussing
Tolkien's writings we are wise to be cautious of attributing either female or male characterizations of the modern age. All such generalizations attempted in comparisons of one time and place to another will invariably cause errors of judgment to be easily made. Adding social constructs to Tolkien very often adds an unnecessary layer of disharmony to an already full and intricate tale. That does not mean it is impossible to have such discussions only that it is detrimental to allow prejudices from perceived personal or societal frameworks to imbue the conversation.
As a young woman attending university I have been more than consistently indoctrinated into the feminist ideology of today yet I am somewhat of an anomaly for I protest it. I do not see the contrived and collected evilness of men behind every tree. Am I sensitive to inequality? Of course, but I do not seek it at every turn.
Equality to me implies that all individuals are offered the opportunity to define their genderhood (small "g") in ways that bring them a life of wellness and completeness. Happiness is never guaranteed nor is superiority based on the subjugation of others conferred.
I apologize for taking this conversation far afield of the OP's question. It is a debate I usually wouldn't have entered into if it had not been for the more recent intriguing posts. So in way of setting it to rights I will respond but briefly.
Do I believe Eowyn truly loved Faramir?
In short, yes. I believe she loved Faramir but
not Aragorn. She both lionized and idolized Aragorn but in her rapture of him there was no room for the man. I can crush on someone and call it love but that does not make it so.
So I see her infatuation of him for all the many reasons we observe in their encounters as little more than an obsession. She sees him as a glorious and appealing means to an end. He holds
the golden ticket for her escape from the tediousness of her life, from the cage she believes she inhabits. How true is that still seen today to disastrous results? Her intentions are not pure nor are they honorable.
They are not loving for there is the stain of selfishness in them. And I am enough of a romantic to believe there is no room for selfishness in love. She does not love the man Aragon, she loves the idea of him.
In Faramir she confronts a man in many ways similar to herself. He has grown up a warrior but one always in the shadow of his older more renowned brother. He too has had to suffer the insignificancy of his place within the big picture. But unlike her he permits for his compassion, it is the hallmark of his personality. She chooses a cold marble like mask to conceal her frustration and ire, he the courage of his true character.
I believe it is the kindness and compassion that Eowyn confronts in Faramir that finally shatters her illusions about herself. He, who has endured so much yet has lived his life with such grace and sincerity. Through his unselfish love of her she begins to recognize the truth within herself. It is not instantaneous as she is a too proud person and enlightenment comes slowly. But eventually, through Faramir's gentle yet firm urgings is she at last able to live her life authentically and let drop her mask becoming capable of entering into a true and mature love.
I guess my answer wasn't as short as I thought it would be.