Master of maps
New Member
- Joined
- Apr 14, 2008
- Messages
- 38
Posted by ithrynluin
Looking back...the results are pretty damn surprising. I thought the Noldor would have won an overwhelming majority...
Nóm said:I wouldn't put it past all of them except Ulmo. An unpleasant thought.
The Noldor are the greatest.
Well, they did make decent wives for some of the Ñoldor, I suppose.
Or like the Teleri in Aman who never seem to want to do much except sing. And push the Ñoldor off of their ships. Of course, they make good wives for the Ñoldor too.The Teleri are alright but most of them are too passive, like the elves of Doriath hiding behind the Girdle of Melian.
Hear, hear! Add interesting to the list.The Noldor are passionate, fiery, fierce and flawed.
The Fëanorians may have done some terrible things
but without the exiled Noldor coming to Middle-earth it would only have been a matter of time before Morgoth would have conquered all of Beleriand and enslaved the Elves and Men, and all of the history that came after would never would have happened.
Probably because Noldor fanatics like Inderjit and me had been such loud-mouths around here.
I think they would have waited longer. They seemed pretty willing to ignore Melkor to me.Without the rebellion of the Noldor, would those of Aman continued to sit idle long enough for that to happen? Especially since men would make decent potential soldiers against them.
That the Valar would have intervened in Middle-earth matters earlier, had the Noldor never departed there?
.Curufin, you defended the kinslaying? I think you've gone farther than anyone I've ever seen. I guess if that isn't a fanatic then no one is!
Have you ever defended Feanor's cold reaction to the news that his son was on the burning ship?
I bet you've defended Curufin too...I foresee some lively discussions.
Oh, come on. I've defended the event called the Kinslaying before. I shall look it up. *grumbles* I defend all kinds of crazy stuff!
Here it is: Slaying of some particular elves is evil? Not really. They were stupid for standing in the way of an especially as well as achingly famously fiery tempered personality. He showed a Herculean amount of restraint in the first place for asking them for their ships instead of just taking them. Do you people think that he was just a whiny as well as spoiled little boy? Well, even if you do, he wasn't. He had the legendary love for a dad that had to be avenged! Lots of creepily righteous fury driving him and some random elf says ---> "Nah. We enjoy uselessly piddling about our tiny island. Waste lots of time making your own boats, why don't you?" That was pretty stupid of him. Poor Feanor snapped.
Quote:
“The Fëanorians may have done some terrible things”
I think I take offense at this.
Especially since it's probably pointed at me and Celegorm.
I withdraw my statement. The Fëanorians made themselves noticed in ways that can only be describe as unfortunate.
I lost a lot of respect for the Valar in their isolationism.'...if Fëanor cannot overthrow Morogth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief.'
My point though was that had Feanor not rebelled the Valar would have took up arms against Melkor much sooner. The Doom of Mandos put pay for to that - at least until it was played out. It could as easily be argued that Feanor's rebellion was just as much to blame for the suffering in Beleriand as the Valar's inaction. More so as Feanor was the proactive party in this, the Valar the reactive.
Perhaps not. But neither did they tell Fëanor that they were even considering doing anything. Like I said above, they just started threatening him. And they didn't have a real good track record of reacting.Note the word delays, not refuses. How much time was there between the Darkening of Valinor and the speech in Tirion? Time enough to take proper council for such a monumentous event? I say no.
If you call what they did making matters worse. I doubt the Edain would think so.And since when has grief been a evil? People need time to grieve and to think lest they rush forward into unthinking action making matters worse, as Feanor did.
I think these are good excuses that the Valar would have made. The truth is, they could have taken care of this problem long before the Rebellion ever happened, and they didn't. Fëanor, with good reason, had no faith that anything would be done, so he did it himself. Totally understandable and justified.I would say it was the Rebellion that delayed the Valar, and it was Feanor who prolonged the war. And the divsions that Feanor created that prevented the Valar attacking Melkor with a mighty host before Melkor dug himself into Angband and routing him and his servants utterly.
Yeah, I've noticed there aren't very many of us. Someone has to stick up for our viewpoint once in a while. It seems a bit of a consensus on most boards that we Fëanorians are a bit evil because of all that bunk with Nargothrond...and Lúthien...and Menegroth...and Sirion...but I tell you, We're just misunderstood!.Anyway, nice to see a new Feanorian on the boards cousin Curufin. It's been a while since we've had any discussions like this...
Did the Valar say to Feanor: We understand your grief and we too want to beat Melkor to a pulp, let us all take council together? Let us aid you in your war against Morgoth! Let us help for it is through our own error in negligence that this was able to happen? Nothing like it. They gave Feanor no reason to wait!
When Melkor strikes the Valar set up their own private stronghold, live in the holy light, then hoard that same light and sit around waiting for the elves to come so they could possess the ones who would follow them into hiding. Then after they do catch Melkor they let him go, okay fine if you want to give him a chance, but when he is seen in close freandship with the Noldor, the clan that just happens to get stirring and becoming distrustful and making weapons, let it occur to you that just maybe Melkor is still pure evil!
As the history stands, I don't blame Fëanor one bit for the way he reacted. He saw his father murdered and his jewels stolen (two things which I believe he conflated into one in his mind), while the Valar did squat. Did they tell him if he came back to Valinor, they'd work something out, and take care of Melkor? No. Did they tell him that they would try to find justice for his father? No. They just threw threats at him and told him that he'd be cursed if he tried to do the right thing - the thing that they were obviously too cowardly to do. I say bravo to Fëanor for trying to get justice, even when the Valar were too busy crying over the trees.
The Noldor acted reasonably? How does this conclusion come about? It was reasonable to shed the blood of innocents in the cause of vengance? And then fall upon your own Kinsmen as an expedient to the same?...So the death of one man justifies the slaying of the Teleri? And Feanor's wrath is justified because he lost his jewels while the Valar and not allowed to grieve over the destruction of the Two Trees? Which the Silmarils were a mere reflection of...
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?