• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Fearing the Dead?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,778
The company halted, and there was not a heart among them that did not quail, unless it were the heart of Legolas of the Elves, for whom the ghosts of Men hold no terror.

He fell silent; but Pippin and Merry were so eager for news that at last Legolas said; 'I will tell you enough for your peace; for I felt not the horror, and I feared not the shadows of Men, powerless and frail as I deemed them.'

Obviously Legolas did not feel the same fear that had gripped the company that passed through the Paths of the Dead. Can the same be said of the Half-Elven twins; Elrohir and Elladan?

If they did feel fear, could this have been a suggestion that they had already chosen the same fate as their sister Arwen, to remain here in Middle-Earth? Alternatively, could they have still opted to leave behind Middle-Earth, the Rangers of the North, their sister and followed in the choosing of Elrond their father?
 
Im not sure if they had already made their decision i would have puyt if off for ages 2. Live for 1000 years and then decide u r going to be mortal?:) :) :D :D ;) :cool:
 
I would have put it down to the fact that Legolas was immortal so the Paths of the dead didnt have the same dread factor to him as it did to say Gimli etc.

Wasn't Legolas immortal at that time then? Where did it say this?
 
I think its an interesting point. Certainly JRRT would have said Legolas and Elladan and Elrohir if he meant it. But perhaps he just meant that they were half-elf decendants and therefore had some of the Second Children of Illuvatar in them?

I always thought they at least leaned towards being Men since they hung out with the Dunedain for a long time, and didn't go over sea with Elrond (perhaps until well into the fourth age if at all).
 
I certainly agree that they spent much of their time with the Dunedain of the North, however this was mainly due to the fact that they ceaselessly hunted Orcs due to the torment and torture of their mother at Orcish hands. This though does not automatically show leanings towards a tendency to select mortality.

Their purpose in life was to seek retribution from the hides of Orcs, though would they have not felt drawn towards the Undying Lands where it might possible for them to reconcile themselves with Celebrian, their Elven mother. I personally beleive that they would have chosen to follow both Mother and Father into the Undying Lands, though at a later date, possibly after the death of Arwen, who was to become mortal.
 
It is said somewhere that "And to Elrond's children was given a choice; to dwell with him with the life of the Eldar, and when he passed into the West, to go with him and live forever, or to remain in Middle-Earth and become mortal"

So most probably, if they chose to stay behind when Elrond left(as they did), they were forced to stay forever(Note that Elrond is more concerned with his daughter staying behind than his sons. Favoritism?)

If you want a more heroic twist, you can say they gave up their places on the grey ship so that Bilbo and Sam could go. :)
 
*whine*

*Pokes Anc for bringing this up again*

This is almost exactly like on old thread...

*cough*Glorfindel*cough*

Anyway, it must be said that Legolas' heart did quail. The passage said that all quailed, but the first that wouldn't would be Legolas'.
 
Beorn, you are absolutely correct. I could not remember exactly who asked the question before, which I think was on the old forum, though I remember it being one of the most interesting threads I have read. Was it Glorfindel? If so, go find him so he can write it exactly the same as before!
 
Ok this has been a question that had been in my mind, yes I think that maybe the man fator in elrond sons make them fear the dead, but where they half elves an not only quarter of elves?
Elrond: half elven married Cele.. (dont remember the daugther of Galadriel) who was an elf.
for me is quite confussing the half elven thing
 
so assuming the debated answer is in another thread, could someone please place a link here? :)
 
That's the point, Eonwe; it was lost when we moved from the old Tolkien Forum to this lovely 'all mod cons', one we have now. We will have to debate from scratch!
 
No, it was on this forum...I participated in it, and I joined the old forum the day it went down. Therefore, I joined this forum on the day it went up...I'll e-mail Glor...Dagorlad...whatever...
 
1) Dag KICKS Anc for raising this.

1.5) Please see subsequent posts such as Aragil's, and my next one on page 2, for recognition and clarification of a gross inaccuracy presented in this post.

2) I have been called upon to take part in an interesting thread that is in mid ressurection, and I hope to put a couple more bullets in it to help lay it to rest. Btw, thanks for thinking of me, Anc, Mike, and Beorn. I didn't do then what I'm doing now because the discussion was too chaotic with drastically varying ideas and I didn't know where to start.

3) As is typical of me, I'm just going to correct most of you on what you've said and then tell you how it is! So get coffee and reading glasses cuz this will be long, detailed. Mabye confusing and hard to believe also.

4) Beleg, I myself can't say now at age 28 what I would think about mortality after another thousand years. Also, Elladan and Elrohir didn't have to decide until over 3,000 years had past, not 1,000, because their birth date was T.A. 130.

5)SSgrif, Yes Legolas was immortal. The book said this many times, especially if you consider it having been said indirectly every single time he was reffered to as an elf! Elves are immortal, so he is also. Here I'm afraid I must chastise you for your inadequate studies.

6) Eonwe, I disagree. I don't believe any of us have a clue what J.R.R.T. WOULD have said or ACTUALLY meant. All we do is speculate, which is swell as long as we remember that when the facts aren't present, it's all opinion. Also, thousands of elves didn't depart when Elrond did. Nor did Celeborn leave when Galadriel left (note family). Does that mean that any of them tend more towards men as you say?

7) Stale, I'll quote you - "...Probably if they chose to stay behind when Elrond left (as they did) they were forced to stay forever.". Please see #6 - thousands left after Elrond, including some that weren't even elves. Also, Elladan and Elrohir may already have made their choice at the time the book takes place, so we don't hear of Elrond's concern for the loss or keeping of his sons. Also, here's a BIG one: It is implied clearly in the book that Bilbo and Frodo got to go accross the sea because they "Bore the burden of the ring". It is suggested that Sam may have gone also.

8) At this time, please reffer to number 3 and get more coffee because this stuff in #9 even confuses me, and I'm writing it. The Tolkien-Geekometer is rising quickly.

9) Camille - our previous debate on this debacle included A LOT of disagreement about what fraction of elf Elrond and his children were.
*pause* *Gets drink of water and some skoal.

I said they were more elf than man (which means something by OUR technical rules of genetics and geneology, not necessarily thiers), and therefore would respond to the paths in the way of an elf, not a man. But I was careful to say that as usual, that was an opinion and therefore not worth much.
O.K. Get ready for this: I can't lay it out here like a chart as it should be, but it should work. Here, in parenthesis HE means Half-Elf, E is Elf, H is Human, F is female - others are males.

Beren(H) + Luthien(E,F) = Dior(HE), Earendil(HE).
Dior(HE) + Nimloth(E,F) = Elwing(3/4E,F).
Earendil(HE) + Elwing(3/4E,F) = Elrond(62.5%E)
Elrond(62.5%E) + Celebrian(E,F) = Eladan,Elrohir(both 81.25%E)

Case closed. Tolkien, and the people of M.E. called Elrond "Half-Elven". He is not. I think they (All the partial elves) are all called the "Peredhil" (Sindarin for Half-Elven) because they can go either way - become a mortal as man, or immortal as elf.
In this way, I do not view them as more elf than man, or more man than elf. They are half-elven.
That means Halfway between mortality and immortality. And says nothing about geneology, or what path they can walk down without being afraid.

In the first 3 lines of my little geneology breakdown, do you see something that looks awefully NOT right?
Yep, you guessed it, Earendil married AND had children with his own immediate NIECE. So we should really appreciate how irrelevant OUR understandings of how this stuff works is. In Tolkien's world, that sort of inbreeding was apparently not only acceptable, but since the products of such unions were some of the greatest heros and leaders in history, they didn't result in the mutations and stupidity typical of that in our world.
Just because the 2nd and 3rd sections of the LoTR were published within 2 years of the first, doesn't mean he was cranking jibbersh out like a Stephen King. He was writing those very sections for more than a decade before publishing. I do not believe he made such pathetic errors that the issue with the paths was a mistake, or the inbreeding for that matter. I believe he literally put hours upon hours into the few sentences that say much of anything about it at all. I believe the series of books chronicaling the mere writing of the LoTR is 10 (or 12?) volumes. Now that should tell us all that "what you see is what you get". Tolkien told us very carefully exactly what he wanted us to know, and I think that he meant nothing more or less than what he said. Anything else is opinion.

Get ready for the biggest one of all!:
"All three of his children chose mortality." Pg. 407, "The Complete Guide to Middle Earth", by Robert Foster. Where did he get this info? Beats me, he doesn't say, but I've never found inaccuracies in the book yet.

And That's That.
~Dag
 
Last edited:
"6) Eonwe, I disagree. I don't believe any of us have a clue what J.R.R.T. WOULD have said or ACTUALLY meant. All we do is speculate, which is swell as long as we remember that when the facts aren't present, it's all opinion"

This unfortunately happens to me a lot, that is, my words are taken not how I intended them. I never put words in JRRT's mouth, I just was stating my opinion.

I never said that they DEFINITELY DID choose mortality (at least after I remembered that I got that from Robert Foster only), and in this thread I said "I always thought..." Speculating is exactly what I am doing!

Geez. :(
 
Last edited:
Uh, Dagorlad-
Tuor and Idril were the parents of Earendil, not Beren and Luthien.

Tolkien himself says in Letters that he doesn't know the final fate of Elladan and Elrohir. Rather presumptuous to assume Foster knows when Tolkien didn't.

Foster claims Uruks and Uruk-hai are the same creatures (stupid Foster). He claims that Uruks are sun-tolerant, when there is no evidence for that. He says alternatively that the Chief's Men are definitely not Uruk-hai (under the entry for half-Orcs), and possibly Uruk-hai (under the entry for Uruk-hai). Foster makes mistakes, but hey, what 100% human doesn't?
 
Hello Dargolad very interesting the half even issue, and yes your argument seam quite reasonable, they share the characterists of each race.
Just a though and it is something that has confussed me about this issue: does Beren and Luthien conceived Dior when they came back from the mandos Halls? and if it is that so they were mortals! should not Dior be Mortal then?
Maybe I am just speculating :eek: But want to know your opinions.
 
Now I remember why I liked this particular thread the first time round:)
 
All we can do is get our information from sources, and when that source is Tolkien, that obviously supercedes any other source. But I'm not 100% convinced on the issue of the choice of E + E. Foster could have gotten his info from yet another Tolkien source (not likely, though). But the Sil is more of a bible, because it's a finished product, so I am convinced on the issue of their lineage.
So, a source is where I got my info, but it appears I messed up badly on the issue of the niece marriage, because it says Tuor and Idril right in the Sil. (I was reading Foster and tired, so I have no good excuse).
Having realised that, it now occurs to me that without really studying the hell out of the Sil, and probably other books also, I'll not figure out exactly what Earendil was in terms of Elven/Human blood. And I'm not going to do that now, especially since it's not super important in the issue, as we know he was part of each, yes? - and Elwing was, as I said, 3/4 Elven (also part of each). Anyone else care to? Correct me again if I'm wrong anyway.

Aragil, in order for me to Presume (be presumptuous as you were saying) that Foster knows when Tolkien didn't, I would have to be aware of the refference to Letters that you mentioned, which I wasn't. So, I don't think I was presumptuous at all like you suggest there. Of coarse I probably shouldn't say "this IS how [insert whatever] is", but as you say (and I've seen many people use this as a justification for criticisms of Tolkien's work - I'm not reffering to you necessarily, but the last post had a lot of that) "What 100% human doesn't make mistakes". It appears that I was being dogmatic on that one. I think it's one of my worst faults.

In any case, as far as I know, every single other thing I wrote in the post sticks so far. Still time for it to get torn up.

Foster's info on Uruk-Hai seems quite wrong to me also, but I'm not even talking about any difference (or lack thereof) between Uruks and Uruk-Hai. If you believe they are not the same, or that they are not sun-tolerant, or that they don't even exist, please include a referrence to where we can find this info, for the purpose of our own learning. Regardless, you're right - he does appear to have made a BIG mistake. I never said he doesn't have any mistakes in the book - only that I hadn't found any.
 
Last edited:
legolas no fear?

i believe that legolas being elven does not harbour the same fears, but if you were to speak to him of the ocean, or the ship upon the oceans and water, im sure legolas would flinch.. :)
 
and since ive been toffed at for bringing up old threadsmy question this is: if gandalf has the ring of fire, and is meant to warm the chilled hearts of people would this then explain his powers with fireworks? or is this just wizadry? the arguments long reigns in my household.. and what are the powers of galadriels and elronds? rings?
 

Similar threads

Back
Top