Hullo. I can't really recall the films, but for example there's a
black uruk in the
books...
spoiler space
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
... a huge orc-chieftain, who with a thrust of his shield turned
Boromir's
sword and bore him backwards, throwing him to the ground, then dove under
Aragorn's blow with the speed of a striking snake, and thrust his spear into
Frodo.
Aragon slew him then... but still.
Or, in the last years of
Denethor I, the
race of
uruks first appeared out of
Mordor and swept across
Ithilien, taking
Osgiliath. Although again, Boromir (a different Boromir than
the one in the Fellowship) later defeated them. And granted, I'm not sure we know the numbers of either side in these
battles, in any case.
Anyway, after all... the heroes have to win eventually
In the books orcs/goblins/uruks/ are just different words for the same exact thing, except that
uruk came to refer to
"the great soldier-orcs that at this time issued from Mordor and Isengard." (an uruk is still a goblin, it's just a better trained, greater goblin). Lesser kinds were called
snaga "slave"
In general orcs were not that tall, which could prove problematic in battle, but they could use numbers to prevail sometimes. Uruks were better trained and greater, but even the
great ones (in my opinion) appear to be less that man-high. You might also get bigger, stronger orcs, generally speaking, due to breeding or whatever. It was said that a few of the larger, bolder
"Northerners" ran with the
Uruk-hai when they had
Merry and
Pippin, for instance.
Half-orcs (the result of Orcs bred with
Men) were seemingly (at least generally speaking) man-high.
Theodred son of Theoden was hewn down by a great Orc-man.
I would guess that there were plenty of snaga-types who probably could be somewhat "easily" dispatched by great heroes. Along with better trained orcs of course (or some elite troops), like the Uruk encountered in
Moria, or
Bolg's bodyguard. When considering orc-origins,
Tolkien also considered adding some
Orc-formed Maiar into the mix, although I won't go into details about that for now.
I keep in mind too, in the
tales orcs aren't just fighting (for instance): men from
Bree, some of whom could maybe afford
swords -- but heroes like
Imrahil,
Eomer, Boromir, Aragorn, well-trained riders, and so on. Although at
Minas Tirith the orcs arguably killed a number of stalwart heroes from both
Rohan and
Gondor, with names we don't know but who were trained in the art of war.
I'm guessing. Anyway, drat their
evil orc-hides!