• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🪦 Gene Hackman

Rest In Peace
OF2ucMJ.jpeg

He has an extensive body of work and was good in them all really. I'm just going to mention three of my favorites...

• Bonnie & Clyde - He played the part of Clyde's brother Buck. I'm in need of watching this one again as it has been many many years.

• Cisco Pike - Not one of his more popular films. I think I shared this when Kris Kristofferson died a while back. Gene played the cop.

• Uncommon Valor - Probably my favorite of his movies. Forget the Missing in Action series and Rambo II, Uncommon Valor sets the bar way over them in the southeast Asia MIA-POW genre. I have the DVD and will be watching it soon.


Rest in Peace Colonel Rhodes.
 
Lesser known film of Hackman's was "Bite the Bullet" (1975)
Hackman shared "leading role" with James Coburn; their characters are friends who were former Rough Riders and took part in the Charge of San Juan Hill.

From Wikipedia: Based on actual events of the early twentieth century, the story concerns a grueling 700-mile (1,100 km) cross-country horse race in 1906, with a winner-take-all prize of $2,000 ($70,000 today), and the way it affects the lives of its various participants... The film touches on the themes of sportsmanship, animal cruelty, the yellow press, racism, the end of the Old West and the bonds of marriage and friendship. As the race progresses, the conditions test not only the endurance of horses and riders but also their philosophies of life and the meaning of victory and defeat.

The story is predictable in many ways, has a lot of tropes, rates a middlin' 6.6 on IMDB ... and is one of the most fun, enjoyable and feel good movies I have ever seen. I cannot tell you how many times I have watched this (on DVD). Just a pleasure that does not require a lot of deep thinking. And the scenery cinematography is spectacular.
 
Last edited:
Buck Barrow! I also remember his voice in the movie Antz. So sad how they died. 😥

It's pretty sad what's coming out after the autopsies. Apparently his wife, who was his primary caregiver, died from a virus, and Gene not really functioning due to Alzheimer's died some days later. The dog died from starvation. That was just an overview from what I just read.
 
It's pretty sad what's coming out after the autopsies. Apparently his wife, who was his primary caregiver, died from a virus, and Gene not really functioning due to Alzheimer's died some days later. The dog died from starvation. That was just an overview from what I just read.
Wife (age 65) died from Hantavirus either the 11th or 12th.
Gene was wearing a pacemaker...It showed an "event" on the 17th... the last info it provided was on the 18th, then nothing else.
The report I read said that due to Alzheimer's Gene probably wasn't even aware that his wife had died.
Yep...really sad.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top