• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Gimli the ladies' ⛏️dwarf

Rivendell_librarian

Active Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2018
Messages
772
Well a certain Lady Elf at least

"the Lady Galadriel is above all the jewels that lie beneath the earth!"
"it is enough for me to have seen the Lady of the Galadhrim, and to have heard her gentle words
and
"to name a single strand of your hair, which surpasses the gold of the earth as the stars surpass the gems of the mine"

He seems to know some good chat up lines!

Was Gimli a bit of a Dwarf Casanova on the quiet?
 
The Lady Galadriel draws similar praise from the very stones! Or something.

Well, that's what a loud outcrop of bedrock told me after I fell and glanced my head upon it.

I'm better now.
 
Contacts between Dwarves and other M-e races were limited. Moria (west-gate) and Eregion as well as Erebor and Dale were special cases, being in close proximity. Moria / Eregion additionally by Celebrimbor and his followers being (jewel-) smiths.

By Gimli's time contacts between Dwarves and Elves were almost non-existent, perhaps excepting Erebor and Thranduil's realm. Trade most likely ran via Dale and Lake Town. The other few remaining Elven realms, Lothlórien, Rivendell and the Grey Havens, were quite reclusive or in the latter case quite far away.

And at last Galadriel was Elu Thingol's grand-niece, and cousin of some sort to Lúthien Tinúviel. These two, together with Galadriel's granddaughter Arwen - also Lúthien's great-great-granddaughter on her father's side - were considered the three most beautiful Elven women of all time.
So my vote goes to Gimli simply being dazzled.
 
Contacts between Dwarves and other M-e races were limited. Moria (west-gate) and Eregion as well as Erebor and Dale were special cases, being in close proximity. Moria / Eregion additionally by Celebrimbor and his followers being (jewel-) smiths.

By Gimli's time contacts between Dwarves and Elves were almost non-existent, perhaps excepting Erebor and Thranduil's realm. Trade most likely ran via Dale and Lake Town. The other few remaining Elven realms, Lothlórien, Rivendell and the Grey Havens, were quite reclusive or in the latter case quite far away.

And at last Galadriel was Elu Thingol's grand-niece, and cousin of some sort to Lúthien Tinúviel. These two, together with Galadriel's granddaughter Arwen - also Lúthien's great-great-granddaughter on her father's side - were considered the three most beautiful Elven women of all time.
So my vote goes to Gimli simply being dazzled.
Well I was thinking of Gimli chatting up female Dwarfs
 
Well I was thinking of Gimli chatting up female Dwarfs
I have this vague feeling that using his lines to Galadriel with female Dwarves would result in his getting some quizzical-to-skeptical stares from the bearded ladies. And possibly comments or questions like the following:

"I think you've had quite enough beer for today!", or "Have you visited that weirdo wizard Radagast again, and brought back some of his dubious stuff?"
 
I have this vague feeling that using his lines to Galadriel with female Dwarves would result in his getting some quizzical-to-skeptical stares from the bearded ladies. And possibly comments or questions like the following:

"I think you've had quite enough beer for today!", or "Have you visited that weirdo wizard Radagast again, and brought back some of his dubious stuff?"
I think Gimli might be able to suit his chat up lines to the person (note that this is not a thread to get too serious about).
 
I have this vague feeling that using his lines to Galadriel with female Dwarves would result in his getting some quizzical-to-skeptical stares from the bearded ladies. And possibly comments or questions like the following:

"I think you've had quite enough beer for today!", or "Have you visited that weirdo wizard Radagast again, and brought back some of his dubious stuff?"
"A single hair from your beard".
 
I think Gimli might be able to suit his chat up lines to the person (note that this is not a thread to get too serious about).
"A single hair from your beard".
That beard thought occurred to me too. 😁
Or
"Your new chain-mail blouse really looks comfortable."
"Don't you think horns from the Kine of Araw are just a teeny bit extravagant as decorations for a helmet?"
"Where did you get that stunning armor-plate handbag?"
 
Gimli's wife: "You're finally home! I sent you for groceries, and you've been away for ages!"
Gimli: "I run into quest. Adventure.. saving the world.. that sort of thing"
Gimli's wife: "Quest? Adventure? I am sure you brought some nice presents for your wife"
Gimli: "I got these three strands of this beautiful hair. I plan to place it in crystal, to always remind you, on how I love you"
Gimli's wife;: "A blond curly hair strands? From whom you got that?!"
Gimli: "Errr..."
Gimli's wife: "Speak"!!!
Gimli: "From Shadowfax. The most beautiful horse of all middle earth"
 
Gimli's wife: "You're finally home! I sent you for groceries, and you've been away for ages!"
Gimli: "I run into quest. Adventure.. saving the world.. that sort of thing"
Gimli's wife: "Quest? Adventure? I am sure you brought some nice presents for your wife"
Gimli: "I got these three strands of this beautiful hair. I plan to place it in crystal, to always remind you, on how I love you"
Gimli's wife;: "A blond curly hair strands? From whom you got that?!"
Gimli: "Errr..."
Gimli's wife: "Speak"!!!
Gimli: "From Shadowfax. The most beautiful horse of all middle earth"
Sounds like a good reason for Gimli doing so much "expatriate" work in the Glittering Caves of Helm's Deep and at Minas Tirith ... 🫣
 
Gimli's wife;: "A blond curly hair strands? From whom you got that?!"
Gimli: "Errr..."
Gimli's wife: "Speak"!!!
Gimli: "From Shadowfax. The most beautiful horse of all middle earth"
Gimli's wife: "Do you really think I'm granite-headed enough to believe those blond strands came from a horse?! Well, the answer to that question you may take from any horse you choose: 'Neigh!!!' You're sleeping in the coal bin tonight!"
Gimli: "Yes dear."
 
Gimli and Legolas hanging out in a bar in Minas Tirith some time in the Fourth Age, chatting about the times of the "Hobbit Quests"

Gimli: "My wife kept nagging about Galadriel's strands of hair which I enclosed in a crystal, made me move it to my office in Aglarond!"
Legolas: "I kinda know the feeling. My wife, when she wants to annoy me, tells me about the strange crush she once had for your dad's buddy Kili."
 

Similar threads

Back
Top