Kementari
Lady Writer
- Joined
- Aug 20, 2001
- Messages
- 591
I havent posted a thread in YEARS
Has this question been posed before? I’m sure it must have been at some point...
I was idly flipping through the Fellowship of the Ring and I noticed a small detail that I had passed over many times before:
“...her shoes were like fishes’ mail” - In the House of Tom Bombadil.
It happened that I was just watching the Little Mermaid (favourite movie as a kid)
The two rambling neural pathways collided and my imagination fired. Whoa. I went back over the previous pages to look for more evidence. Goldberry had been away the whole day performing secretive cleaning activities in the middle of a rain storm that is far too messy for ordinary people. I thought: hair dryer, Deryll Hannah, Splash– hello!
In the poems about Goldberry its seems clear that she used to live in the Withywindle River before Tom lured her away. Personally I think it would be uncomfortable sitting around by a river all the time with a tree-dwelling humanoid body.
I think that its very obvious that Goldberry is an allusion to the common “river goddess”that exists in many ancient religions: Saraswati, the wife of the first god in the Hindu trinity, is a good example. Goddesses or gods were also worshiped regionally by native populations, we don’t have all the names but it seems like a fairly common practice. Well known examples of other water deities are the Greek water Nymphs, like Thetis, Arthur’s Lady of the Lake ect... Grendel’s mother lived underwater if i remember correctly... And I think the creatures with the strongest links to Goldberry are the German Nixes. Upon further research I have discovered that Nixes lived in fresh water, are associated with water lilies, and could take the shape of a human or a fish!
Do you think its possible that maybe Goldberry was anthropomorphic? Or that she could change into fish like Nixes perhaps?
Has this question been posed before? I’m sure it must have been at some point...
I was idly flipping through the Fellowship of the Ring and I noticed a small detail that I had passed over many times before:
“...her shoes were like fishes’ mail” - In the House of Tom Bombadil.
It happened that I was just watching the Little Mermaid (favourite movie as a kid)
The two rambling neural pathways collided and my imagination fired. Whoa. I went back over the previous pages to look for more evidence. Goldberry had been away the whole day performing secretive cleaning activities in the middle of a rain storm that is far too messy for ordinary people. I thought: hair dryer, Deryll Hannah, Splash– hello!
In the poems about Goldberry its seems clear that she used to live in the Withywindle River before Tom lured her away. Personally I think it would be uncomfortable sitting around by a river all the time with a tree-dwelling humanoid body.
I think that its very obvious that Goldberry is an allusion to the common “river goddess”that exists in many ancient religions: Saraswati, the wife of the first god in the Hindu trinity, is a good example. Goddesses or gods were also worshiped regionally by native populations, we don’t have all the names but it seems like a fairly common practice. Well known examples of other water deities are the Greek water Nymphs, like Thetis, Arthur’s Lady of the Lake ect... Grendel’s mother lived underwater if i remember correctly... And I think the creatures with the strongest links to Goldberry are the German Nixes. Upon further research I have discovered that Nixes lived in fresh water, are associated with water lilies, and could take the shape of a human or a fish!
Do you think its possible that maybe Goldberry was anthropomorphic? Or that she could change into fish like Nixes perhaps?
Last edited:



