LadyDernhelm
Back from the Dead
- Joined
- Feb 27, 2003
- Messages
- 545

Originally posted by 33Peregrin
Now that the TTT DVD is out, has anyone officially decided what the tear might mean? I watched TTT last night, and this is what I think for myself about Grima's tear.
I noticed that after Saruman told Grima about the new explosive powder that would breech the deeping all, Grima looked somewhat surprised. When he tells Saruman that they would still need a huge army, and Saruman shows him the 10,000 Uruk-hai army, Grima lets out his tear. I believe that Grima really was more of a Rohrrim man (even evil). He mostly believed like the rest of the Rohrrim that Helm's Deep could never fall, even though he did want it to. Seeing that it actually was to be done was too much of a shock for him.
Originally posted by LadyDernhelm
If you'll remember, the tear escapes right after Saruman makes a comment about "leaving none alive". I immediately thought that Gríma, worm that he is, was crying for the fact that Éowyn, the woman he desired, would be killed. That tear is REPULSIVE to me...*shudders*
Originally posted by Gandalf White
However, this argument is directly countered by the fact that he himself told Saruman that Rohan was fleeing to Helm's Deep, specifically mentioning women and children. Because of him they were attacked on the road, while seemingly defenseless. He hated Rohan for casting him out, I don't think he would in anyway wish them safe.
This leads me to believe that Grima's tear was one caused by a deep emotion of awe, and anticipation. After all, he was personal aid and chief follower of Saruman, surely something good would come of this.
er, I'll put a cynical view forward: maybe it just happened on the set, you know, the wind machine was blowing in his face, or it was really cold or something... and Peter Jackson just thought 'hey, this looks emotional..can I use this? Yes we're gonna go with it!' - without having any real 'reason'. For example (off the top of me head but quite appropriate
) Rutger Hauer's 'tears' speech at the end of Blade Runner was (supposedly) partly made up on the spot, but it's amazing so it was put into the film.
Just a thought.
TF.
Maybe just maybe he was having second thoughts about chillin' with an evil wizard IDKSo basically we have Grima either gloriously happy over Saruman's vast army, or over the destruction of men that were his kind. Even after all these posts, I'm still confused. I don't think Grima was weeping over the distruction of men. I think he was rather expecting something great from his new master. If Grima ever had doubts about destroying the world of men, I don't think that it would be at this point. Not right before he fully betray's his master, and is at the peak in sharing with his master's power. And something just doesn't let me go for it being a tear of happiness or awe. Grima just doesn't seem like the type to get emotional and start crying when he is pleased. Also, after all Eowyn does to reject him, I think he was feeling pretty good for, perhaps, "paying her back". Or something.... I'm still confused, and I guess I always will be in this point of the movies. Oh well.