Michel Delving
Member
- Joined
- Jan 3, 2003
- Messages
- 330
Absolutely: a tear of joy. Purely inspired by the might and power of the sight before him. Overwhelmed, his emotions spill.

Originally posted by Niniel
I loved that. I think it was supposed to show that Gríma was shocked by Saruman's army. Gríma joined Saruman because he thought Saruman would win and he might get a powerful position under Saruman's rule. But Gríma never tought that Saruman's real purpose was to destroy the world of Men; he just thought Saruman would want to be the ruler of Men. But when Gríma found out what Saruman relly wanted, he realizid that everything and everyone he had once loved would be destroyed, and that he himself might not be better off when Saruman would win. Even if he would get powerful, he would always feel guilty about what he had done.
So he cried because he realized what he had done, and what that would mean: the destruction of the world, of which really no good could come.
I can't possibly understand how someone could view this as "tears of joy" or anything similar.
And even more to the point, if it produced so many different reactions - and I was completely baffled as to what it was about - then whatever PJ intended it to be for didn't work - like his insects scared of a Nazgul!Originally posted by Michel Delving
But some of us did, isn't that the point.
Originally posted by joxy
then whatever PJ intended it to be for didn't work -
Yes I agree with you.Having in mind that Grima is presented as a real Gothic character I should mention that his tear is because of realizing the power of evil and the coming destruction.
Originally posted by PRH
Here's the small hitch -- "they will have women, and children." How can Grima be encouraging Saruman to attack people of Rohan on the road to Helm's Deep, pointing out even the vulnerability of having women and children, then do such an about-face to remorse when Saruman unveils his plans to attack again at Helm's Deep? What has changed in Grima enough that he'd suggest attacking women and children and then change his tune a day later?
Originally posted by Telpeamarthiel
Didn't a tear roll down Grima's cheek when Eomer grabbed his face? Or was it when he was talking to Eowyn next to Theodred's death bed? I thought he had a hankie to wipe his continually oozing eyes and mouth. Morbid yes, but I thought this spoke to his inner sickness and malice.