• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Haldir's death

Corvis

Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
159
I was just thinking about when Haldir is killed by an Uru-khai at the battle of Helms Deep and how this really strange mystical type of music plays while he sees everything in slow motion. Is that what happens when elves die, or is that just something PJ put in on his own?
 
You mean the mystical music? Im pretty sure that doesnt play when an Elf dies ;)

I think it was more to do with trying to make it all seem more sad etc, it didnt bother me that much as i didnt really like the film Haldir, but its just to make it all see tragic that there are losses in war and stuff...
 
Like Thol said, it was probably just to emphasize Haldir's death.

No, actually...I disagree. The heavens open and "Hallelujahs" pour fourth every time an Elf is born or dies or looses a tooth. ;)
 
Oh, I think it was just Jacksons way of emphasising the death and give it that final 'oomph'. After all, it's Haldirs death, people!
 
e.Blackstar said:
Like Thol said, it was probably just to emphasize Haldir's death.

No, actually...I disagree. The heavens open and "Hallelujahs" pour fourth every time an Elf is born or dies or looses a tooth. ;)

So nothing special happens when elves die? I'm mean, their not plain old men, they're the firstborn and more magical. I'm sure something special has to happen when they die. Maybe the heavens do open up. ;)
 
I remember that moment :( It is very sad and it almost made me cry :( I don't think that happens when the Elves die. Haven't you watched movies like that? When somebody dies there is specific music. It affects mind. I don't think that Tolkien has mentioned something like music. Who plays it? Well, it is possible if we don't talk about music but wind. Probably the nature cries.
 
I liked Haldir, I just dont think that PJ emphasized on him much. Like they should have put in the leading of the Fellowship to Lothlorian and all, with the blindfolding and the crossing the river and all. It would have been so much better! and did Haldir die in the book at all? I dont remember it. I think PJ was dumb to put that in.
 
Erestor Arcamen said:
I liked Haldir, I just dont think that PJ emphasized on him much. Like they should have put in the leading of the Fellowship to Lothlorian and all, with the blindfolding and the crossing the river and all. It would have been so much better!.....

Don't worry, that's what the extended edition is for.
 
Well in the Extended version (which I have all three of) it shows him and Aragorn arguing over whether Frodo can enter and Gimli's little insult and all. Then it shows them all looking on the Elven city from afar and he says osmething and all and then it shows them before the stairs where Galadriel and Celeborn come down the steps and they start talking and such. But they really dont have a lot of the stuff from in the book that they should have had.
 
Did an orchestra start blaring forth from the skies whenever someone was running across an open landscape? No. You're asking if the music was diagetic or not, and I don't see any reason to assume it was. As for the slow motion, that seemed like an attempt to depict the numbing sensations of someone nearing death. It isn't really unique to Lord of the Rings in cinematography.

And on the subject, I'll just say here that I really disliked the guy who played Haldir.
 
Hammersmith said:
And on the subject, I'll just say here that I really disliked the guy who played Haldir.

So did I. "The dwooooooooof breathes soooooow looooooooud we coooooooooooooooooooooooowuld haaaayve shaaaaaaaaaaht him in thuuuuuuh daaaaaaaaak" in a draaaaaaaaaaaawwwwl. I could have shot him.:rolleyes:
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top