• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Halloween Movies 🎃

Erestor Arcamen

Assistant to the forum owner
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
7,850
I've seen a few of those and like them. I love old B and Z movies so will definitely be watching a lot of those. An example would be "It Conquered the World". The monster is more amusing than anything, looks like a fast food restaurant's mascot:

1602089945520.png


Outside of those, I also will be watching a few of my favorites that aren't as cheesy. A few of them are: 13 Ghosts (1960), House on Haunted Hill (1959) and Carnival of Souls (1962).
 
Last edited:
I've seen a few of those and like them. I love old B and Z movies so will definitely be watching a lot of those. An example would be "It Conquered the World". The monster is more amusing than anything, looks like a fast food restaurant's mascot:

View attachment 8218

Outside of those, I also will be watching a few of my favorites that aren't as cheesy. A few of them are: 13 Ghosts (1960), House on Haunted Hill (1959) and Carnival of Souls (1962).
The VIncent Price version of House on Haunted hill is great. I might add that to the list.
 
Another Vincent Price film I'll be watching. One of my favorites.

Don't forget to wear your masks!
 
Phantasm, as Michael Weldon said, contains more genuine shocks than many big-budget movies. A truly weird fim.

My favorite Price film is this one, written by Robert Towne -- though with Richard Chamberlain in mind (!):
It's the last of Roger Corman's Poe adaptations, with second unit direction by Francis Ford Coppola. Price must have been impressed, because, unusually for him, he played his part completely straight.

One interesting aspect I'll mention: in the dream sequence, the actors appear to actually be moving in slow motion, in real time. That doesn't surprise me, as I doubt the notoriously cheapskate director would shell out for a high speed camera. It does contribute to the otherworldly atmosphere. I was a bit disappointed that neither Corman nor Elizabeth Sheppard mentioned it in their commentaries.

It's on youtube, BTW.

Edit: I wondered why I was getting a deja vu feeling. I see I'm repeating myself from EA's previous Halloween thread:


Oh, well. :)
 
Last edited:
We always watch
Van Helsing
I've never seen this "front-to-back"; vague memories of zapping there quite a few times as it was shown sometime after midnight. As far as Bram Stoker "canon" goes, it's definitely PJ "Hobbit" territory, but certainly with a higher age rating.
One thing I do remember is my double-take "eh? Wolverine assisted by Faramir?!?" 😁
Garfield Halloween
I've briefly seen stuff on German TV for lower age brackets. I still prefer my 60 plus Garfield collectors' comic books, totaling over 60 by now, divided between two publishers (from day 1 of the comic strip). 🧐
 
I remember that one! And was a bit disconcerted by Angharad Rees, after watching her for several seasons in the original "Poldark" -- quite a difference.

BTW, the cinematographer on "The Tomb of Ligeia" was Arthur Grant, who shot a number of Hammer films (though not Ripper), which gives it a "Hammer look".

I'm going to repeat another recommendation from the original thread: the moody, low-key series Val Lewton produced for RKO in the 40's. Anyone who's never seen "Cat People" or "I Walked with a Zombie" should watch those, but I'm going to share a clip from a lesser-known one, 1942's "The Leopard Man", where director Jaques Tourneur demonstrates the effectiveness of not showing the worst:

 
The Tomb of Ligea is a good one, haven't seen it in a while. Ripper was also really good. I've said it before but I think the Hammer films are my favorite of the old horror movies but I've seen several of the RKO ones as well such as Cat People I Walked with a Zombie, both are excellent.

Another of my favorites that I'm going to watch again is Spider Baby from 1968, it's a really good one too
 

Similar threads

Back
Top