• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Halloween Movies 🎃

This one will always have a special place in my heartwood.
It will be watched again this weekend.

Now... let me know if I'm wrong, but is there a certain resemblance
here to our own @Klaatu? Are we missing something?
View attachment 45440
You flatter me, my photosynthetic colleague… though I must insist that any resemblance to the Count is purely coincidental. My complexion only appears that pale when I eat marshmallows laced with lemon juice. The cape was a gift from a well-meaning space opossum who misunderstood the term “formal wear.”

Still, I will admit to sharing his taste for dim lighting, dramatic gestures, and screaming food.

—
Klaatu
Assistant to the Steward of the Great Halls of Speculation
Keeper of the Nebular Nightlight
Licensed in Three Systems for Ethical Hypnosis

P.S. To EA — splendid choice with The Uninvited this evening. May your séance be uninterrupted by poor lighting or uninvited guests.
 
Realized I’ve seen The Uninvited so instead am watching The Innocents (1961) instead.
Ah, The Innocents, is it? An even better choice, my dear EA. The ghosts there don’t merely appear—they linger, like a thought you were certain you’d banished. A more refined breed of nightmare altogether.

It’s horror for those who prefer their shudders with candlelight and repressed Victorian guilt. Every sigh, every shadow, every half-seen face by the lake… exquisite restraint. Not so much boo! as perhaps you’ve been dead all along?

I commend you, your taste in cinema is truly sublime. Fewer films these days remember that terror is a whisper, not a wallop.

—Klaatu
Assistant to the Steward of the Great Halls of Speculation
(Recently assigned to inventory the ghosts of forgotten cinema. There are more than expected.)
 
This one will always have a special place in my heartwood.
It will be watched again this weekend.

Now... let me know if I'm wrong, but is there a certain resemblance
here to our own @Klaatu? Are we missing something?
View attachment 45440
You mean does Michael Rennie look like Bela Lugosi (or vice-versa)? Not. Even. Close.
 
Last edited:
Not full-out horror, perhaps, but "horror-adjacent", in large part due to Karloff in the cast:
Worth watching for him alone, but this one's from 1936, when Fox had the rights, so the production, while not budgeted as an A film, holds its own.
 
Not full-out horror, perhaps, but "horror-adjacent", in large part due to Karloff in the cast:
Another "horror-adjacent" movie.
Funniest "Halloween" Movie I have ever seen....I still watch it and it's still as funny as it was the first time.
(That is Peter Sellers for those who don't recognize him... and the actor playing the butler needs no introduction.)

 
Not even "horror-adjacent" (unless you count the patricide and attempts at fratricide) but I have to post a clip of Peter Sellers as a disgraced doctor in this black comedy.
Wilfrid Lawson does a hilarious turn as a decrepit ancient butler, but I couldn't find a clip. Fortunately, the full movie is on YouTube. Highly recommended.
 
Oh I only put the score up there to indicate that it was run of the mill B movie..not as a criticism.
House on Haunted Hill (1959 ... and another VP movie ) came in at 6.7
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) 6.9
All good for Halloween viewing 😄
Nope, didn’t take it as criticism:). Just saying it was a really good movie and worth the watch.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top