• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Discussion House Telcontar ~ A 4th Age Story

Vardarianna

Princess of Arnor and Gondor
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Messages
389
For discussion of my fanfiction story House Telcontar ~ A 4th Age Story. Feel free to comment and critique the story and discuss the reunited Dunedain Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor here if you like.



I have now written two completely different editions of this.

The first (original) I started back in my teenage years and has had so many revisions and additions and edits and such as I worked out the wrinkles and inconsistencies. The timeline was based on Eldarion; with no solid date of birth being given, the assumption was (e.g. Encyclopedia of Arda - Eldarion) that Eldarion was born somewhere in the years 30-44 of the 4th age and was estimated to have lived to be 220 years old (250-264 of the 4th age). His rule of the united kingdom was known to have begun when Aragorn laid down his life in 120 of the 4th age and had 'ruled for a hundred years' which, if assumed that death ended his rule, then he would have been 190-204 years old. There has been a number if inconsistencies in the timeline information for Eldarion.

My story had Eldarion born in the year 30 of the 4th age; ascended to the throne on Aragorn's death in 120 of the 4th age; ruled for a hundred years in Gondor to 220 of the 4th age before passing the throne to his heir. My story fanfic has Arnor seceding from Gondor at some point in his rule. In this story the friction is between Eldarion, the 2nd born, and his older sister, the 1st born Vardarianna who eventually leads to Arnor's secession.


When Nature of Middle Earth was released, there was a paragraph on half-elven ageing, and in a 1959 letter by Tolkien, he states that Eldarion was born in year 1 of the 4th age which transformed Arwen's ageing from elven to mortal, and that Eldarion lived to be 125 years old. This would mean he ruled roughly 5-6 years after Aragorn's passing. My story revision using this version has Vardarianna the youngest daughter of Aragorn and Arwen... a late, 'accident' daughter many years younger to the previously youngest daughter. The conflict arises between Vardarianna and Eldarion's heir who ascends to the throne of the united kingdom upon Eldarion's death.

I kind of got invested in this 2nd revision and now am not sure which one I like better. I may share them both in different story threads. I will get back to finish editing my original story and start posting the scenes soon if I quit getting distracted. 😆



I am still writing both versions of this story. I may still share them here when I finish editing them.
 
Last edited:
I look forward to reading this again. I remember reading an earlier version of this on 'Many Paths To Tread' before the site vanished from the internet.
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top