• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How do 🧌Orcs reproduce / breed?

Solution
Yes, there has been some debate on the issue of whether Orcs were 'corrupted' from Elves or from men. I think I remember that the outcome was from Men (on the basis of Tolkien's letters or such), in direct contradiction with the Silmarillion! :eek: Aanyway..
Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressëa, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes. For the Orcs had life, and multiplied in the fashion of the Children of Ilúvatar; and naught that had life of its own, nor the...
I don't know who's posts is more hilarious, Snaga's or Merry's!!! LOL!! Wow! Two of my most favorite posters in one thread. How absolutely gorgeous!!

Anyway to answer your question, krash8765, I believe you were referring to the ones that Saruman bred in Isengard. They are not even pure orcs, they are a mixture.

Real pure orcs were bred by Melkor. I think.
 
Actually, I dont think there's any evidence on how the creation of new races was done, either by Morgoth or Saruman. There's lots of debate to be had on whether the main stock of orcs was human or elf (* spits *). But the mechanics aren't discussed. Not really Tolkiens style I guess!;) But muddy pods are as good a guess as any...

But you can rely on the fact that we orcs have worked out how to make baby orcs on their own: we grew very numerous in the Misty Mountains and elsewhere without needing any help, thank you.
 
Yes, there has been some debate on the issue of whether Orcs were 'corrupted' from Elves or from men. I think I remember that the outcome was from Men (on the basis of Tolkien's letters or such), in direct contradiction with the Silmarillion! :eek: Aanyway..
Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressëa, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes. For the Orcs had life, and multiplied in the fashion of the Children of Ilúvatar; and naught that had life of its own, nor the semblance of life, could ever Melkor make since his rebellion in the Ainulindalë before the Beginning: so say the wise.
From the Silmarillion, 'Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor'.
 
Solution
Originally posted by Popqueen62
how do you guys get all of these quotes?
Yes, many of us have processed the books so well that we can go to a certain section in the book(s) without even thinking to retrieve a certain quote; or then the chapter name gives it away (a bit hard to miss quotes about the Istari in UT, with the chapter "The Istari"! :p). They are very helpful to many people, and are excellent ways to end an argument; I mean who would dare contradict JRRT himself?! :)
 
I like the story in the Sil of how Melkor used to capture Elves that wandered too far alone and he tortured them and make mockery of them and created ORCs, but I think Tolkien changed his story on this and I don't know what the true answer is.

The first seems to make the most sense as Melkor could not create new life but corrupt those that already existed.

If this is true then female Elves would have been tortured and therefore breeding would be possible.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top