• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How Does 🧝Feanor Match Up to 🧙Maia?

Gloranthan

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2022
Messages
163
First off, I know Tolkien's powers and gifts of different beings are like Dragonball Z power levels. They seem to mostly be spiritual, and have a lot of nuance to their specifics. Secondly, Feanor obviously doesn't rank with any of the Valar. There does seem to be some quite wide divergence among the status/power/intellect of Maia as well as elves. Feanor, we're told, is the top dog of the Elven soul-fire and I wonder how he ranks in mental ability and spiritual might to various Maia. I would assume Sauron, being one of the top Maia we encounter, was even smarter and more intense than Feanor - though even less wise in other ways. Feanor went off the rails several times, and was a covetous, proud elf, but Feanor wasn't nearly as malicious. In fact, despite his blinding obsessions, he seems to have actually liked his family and respected the Valar. Sauron, while he has some redeeming qualities and virtues, is really twisted up on himself in a way I don't think Feanor ever matched.
I do not have in front of me a list of Maia, and I know Tolkien probably didn't produce a hierarchy chart, but I wonder if Feanor was more powerful and intelligent than some lesser Maia.
 
Well there's always the ol' reliable 'balrog test', whereby 1 balrog = 1 grey gandalf. Keep in mind this gandalf is an accomplished fighter, a proficient magic user, and wields a ring of power (with unclear direct relevance to any circumstances of LotR, afaik). Multiple beings in Silmarillion are able to duel balrogs successfully (sometimes multiple), including even their lieutenants.

Seems like royalty in the 1st age pretty much meant demi-god status, often.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top