• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How many Rangers were there under Aragorn?

I don't know the exact number of Rangers, and they weren't really under him, they all considered themselves as equals. But there were quite a few of them in the Grey Company that took the paths of the dead with Aragorn, but the only one named was Halbarad, and yes they did fight at the battle of Pelennor fields, which is where Halbarad died:(, I wanted him to get a bigger role in the story.
 
read the book, chapter 'Passing of the Grey Company'. The answer is in there.

In general, for a question about simple facts from the book, the answer can be found in the book. If you're not sure about something, read that part again. It's easy to look over some details the first time reading it.

There's nothing wrong with picking up the book again and looking for the answers. It will aid in deduction and researching skills, and maybe inspire one to read things more carefully.
 
Originally posted by Tar-Minyatur
I think there were about 30 rangers who came from the North to aid Aragorn

Ding ding ding!
We have a winner, very good Tar-Minyatur.

'All is well,' said Aragorn, turning back. 'Here are some of my own kin from the far land where I dwelt. But why they come, and how many they be, Halbarad shall tell us.'

'I have thirty with me,' said Halbarad. 'That is all of our kindred that could be gathered in haste...'

Enjoy

RD
 
Last edited:
I don't know the exact number of Rangers, and they weren't really under him, they all considered themselves as equals. But there were quite a few of them in the Grey Company that took the paths of the dead with Aragorn, but the only one named was Halbarad, and yes they did fight at the battle of Pelennor fields, which is where Halbarad died:(, I wanted him to get a bigger role in the story.

As did I. As for the 'exact' number, there were thirty-one Dunedain Rangers that rode south.... Halbarad with thirty with him.

The Grey Company consisted of thirty-three as the sons of Elrond rode with them.


IMG_3864.jpeg


(artist uncredited)​
 

How many Rangers were there under Aragorn?​

I don't know the exact number of Rangers, and they weren't really under him, they all considered themselves as equals. But there were quite a few of them in the Grey Company that took the paths of the dead with Aragorn, but the only one named was Halbarad, and yes they did fight at the battle of Pelennor fields, which is where Halbarad died:(, I wanted him to get a bigger role in the story.

I think the OP meant 'under' as in rank, for Aragorn was their Chieftain. I always thought Halbarad was for a large part of the time after Arathorn II's death to be the 'Captain' of the Dunedain Rangers of the North while Aragorn was being raised, and when he was off journeying other parts of Middle-earth and serving the King of Rohan, the Steward of Gondor, and looking for Gollum. My 'head-canon' makes Halbarad older than Aragorn, and I was sad when his name was among the dead of Pelennor Fields.

Nice art, though I only count one son of Elrond and twenty rangers.
 
I think the OP meant 'under' as in rank, for Aragorn was their Chieftain. I always thought Halbarad was for a large part of the time after Arathorn II's death to be the 'Captain' of the Dunedain Rangers of the North while Aragorn was being raised, and when he was off journeying other parts of Middle-earth and serving the King of Rohan, the Steward of Gondor, and looking for Gollum. My 'head-canon' makes Halbarad older than Aragorn, and I was sad when his name was among the dead of Pelennor Fields.

Nice art, though I only count one son of Elrond and twenty rangers.

I agree about the Dunedain Rangers and Halbarad. Aragorn from the time he was twenty, spent a lot of time elsewhere, and flirting with Arwen when he was in Lothlorien and Imladris.

As for this art, 'Second Breakfast Society' on fecebook is an AI-generated, human edited page and their write-ups are sometimes good, sometimes not so good. They appear to use a certain artist (possible AI) for their visual attachments, but they won't ever answer a question posted to them. So I save the good art and say it's uncredited or credit Second Breakfast Society,

As for this artistic rendition of The Grey Company, I count the same, though it is possible the 2nd son of Elrond is behind Aragorn? And if it is of them riding the Dimholt Road, there is a lot off with it, for there would also be Gimli and Legolas. I took it as them riding from Helms Deep to Dunharrow.

Anyway, I digress...
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top