• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How to say hello in 🧝Elvish/Quenya?

Namárie, that means more farewell. But ( . . .)


Hello again doron. There's a little note in Tolkien's Words, Phrases and Passages (published in Parma Eldalamberon 17) revealing that Quenya namárie "be well" is a formula for greeting or farewell.

This new bit of info stuck in my memory due to years of folks taking this word only to mean farewell -- though not without good reason of course, especially considering Nerwen's lament
in The Lord of the Rings, for example, Altariello nainie Lóriendesse.

🐾
 
Hello again doron. There's a little note in Tolkien's Words, Phrases and Passages (published in Parma Eldalamberon 17) revealing that Quenya namárie "be well" is a formula for greeting or farewell.
🐾
In south German (I believe Bavarian, specifically), there is the term "servus" (some kind of corrupted Latin, I would guess) that can also be used both for greeting or farewell.
I have a private hypothesis about the reason for this Bavarian specialty (though my knowledge of other German dialects, and we have a lot of them, is very spotty). Bavaria is well-known for (one sort of) beer festivals, the best-known world-wide certainly being the Oktoberfest in Munich. We have one of the regionally best-known ones besides the Oktoberfest, in the city I live in, and with which I'm far more familiar with than the Munich one (and as for that, ours, originating in 1755, is 55 years older than that poor copy in Munich, starting in 1810 😝 ).
If one sits around gabbing and babbling away with a bunch of friends long enough, the 1-liter steins being replenished at regular intervals, it may become somewhat unclear if someone one is addressing just arrived or is just leaving; and the term itself is spoken with very little lip movement, never mind complicated ones. Perfect thing for a situation with declining verbal skills … 🥴
 
Servus comes from servus humillimus "[your] most humbled servant" and it's also a widely used (although by now a tiny bit dated) greeting in Hungary and Poland.
 
:)Pour en revenir à la question au début, je pense que le sindarin est un peu plus facile, car c'est la langue la plus utilisée dans le Seigneur des Anneaux, donc les gens nous ont donné plus d'informations sur leurs sites Web, forums, etc.😊

:)Going back to the question at the beginning, I think Sindarin is a bit easier, because it's the most used language in Lord of the Rings, so people have given us more information in their websites, forums and so on. 😊
 
I recommended mae govannen in my first post, although granted I just gave the Sindarin. . . but anyway mellon is "friend" and not really part of this . . .

. . . unless this greeting is only used between friends (and then it's implied)?

I don't recall this particular usage, if so.
 

Today's events

Latest posts

Similar threads

Back
Top