• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Name for a 📔book.

Sardo Alterú

New Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2021
Messages
17
Hello, everyone.
I'm writing a book with the Elvish etymology (in Quenya) of my family. In it, I'll include the etymology of all the members' names, plus their Quenya counterparts.
I want to title it:

"Family History"
The History of Our House in the Tongue of the High Elves.
​
I need a translation for the part that says: "Family History."

I know that history (narration) in Quenya is: Quentalë. Quenta.
And that family in quenya is: nos(së).

as it could then be translated into Quenya
Thank you very much in advance
 
It seems to me that one can either make a tight compound by combining nossë (nosse-) "family" with one of the Quenya synonyms of "history":

- (lúme)nyárë “history, account”
- (lúme)quenta “story, narrative, account, history”
- (lúme)quentalë “history, narration”
- quentassë "history" (the oldest word, from circa 1940)

. . . Or one can take one of the above synonyms of "history" and make the adjective *nossëa either precede or follow it (as a separate word).
 
Last edited:
Do you mean it would be like this?
- nossenyárë
- nosequenta
- nosequentalë
- nossequentassë

or
nossèa Quenta
nossëa Quentalë
nossëa ¨Quentassë
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top