• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

How well would Nargothrond have stood at its best chances?

Kon

New Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
6
I was researching which Elven kingdom after the Battle of Unnumbered Tears had the strongest defense, which unsurprisingly ended up being a debate between Menegroth and Gondolin with Nargothrond being left behind, but through that discussion, I was able to read a lot of their points on why, with the main one naming a lot of the cons stated in the book, as well as losing to Glaurung and just normal orcs compared to what took down the former kingdoms. I agree that Nargothrond seems due to all of its variables, but what a lot of people in the discussion seemed to forget about is that Nargothrond was not strongest by the end, but far earlier.

Nargothrond at its strongest had Finrod as its king, several strong fighters Curufin and Celegrom, Huan, Orodreth, and more. The bridge was not constructed at this point, as well as the soldiers of Nargothrond have not been wasted due to the fighting caused by Turin Turambar much further on, though if I recall there is no full detail on how many Elves were lost during the time. I doubt that overall Nargothrond would've stood a chance against the malice of Morgoth, but my question is instead how well do you think they would've done in an alternative timeline if Nargothrond somehow would've been able to remain at its peak power compared to what actually happened?

Another alternative question is how well do you think Nargothrond would've stood with instead the bad decisions of Turin never happening instead (with the canon being the same prior)
 

Similar threads

Back
Top