TrackerOrc
Member
- Joined
- Apr 4, 2020
- Messages
- 567
Yes, the SIL is a bit of a thorny issue overall isn't it. I think I've always believed that as Tolkien had been working on the material of the SIL for so long (wasn't there some stuff that dates back to 1917?) that CT was basically just putting it into some knd of order. This may actually be wide of the mark, and I do think that the HoME series (though undoubtedly interesting) is more definitely the work of CT and not JRRT. Again, this is probably up for debate.A bit of a side topic at this point, but. . .
I'd add The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and The Road Goes Ever On to the list, as well.
"Nomenclature" was meant for more than one recipient, but never made it to the general readership while JRRT was alive. Perhaps add the Pauline Baynes map, although we now know Tolkien didn't like some of the illustration on it, anyway.
I can't agree with this characterization, but as this is a complicated subject, all I'll say here is that for me, only work published by JRRT is canon.
Indeed a "once and future readership" as I sometimes like to put it.
I agree. And I read Letters with care -- two examples of why being:
1) chronology concerns (when did Tolkien think X or Y)
2) arguable contradiction with TPT (Tolkien Published Text)
That said, I absorb posthumously published stuff into my Middle-earth. The way I go about this is basically a mix of:
1) TPT (canon)
(or should I use APW "Author Published Work" or APT "Author Published Text" or something else)
2) Late text/ideas over earlier text/ideas -- if the later one fits (in my opinion) with TPT/APW/APT. . .
Of course, each "case" is different. I could argue, for example, that the Eldar had dark hair save for
the golden house of Finarfin, which leaves the so called "Vanyar" with. . . what colour hair, generally speaking? And I even have a TPB ("Tolkien Published Book") that states it was the golden house of Finrod. . . which leaves me with more than one APN ("Author Published Name") in the same sentence, so I go with. . . the later AP ("Author Published") one.
Maybe a slip of the pen in 1955
Ah Inglor Felagund! Where did you go?
🐾
So, you're discounting what Tolkien says about his own character because he never intended to publish it? 🤔 Anyway, again, that Gollum chose the path he did because of who he is. Boy, my head is starting to spin from all the circles in which this discussion is spinning 😵💫😉Well I've been arguing that, generally, I put the finished works (TH, LoTR, SIL - though I know the latter work could be much more complicated as to its provenance) at a much higher level than anything else Tolkien wrote; I use the word wrote deliberately, as Tolkien never published them, and perhaps never intended them to be published. Even if he did, they are an incomplete record as HC hasn't (to my knowledge) published every letter Tolkien wrote about his finished books. So instead of the complete published works of Tolkien himself, we have an incomplete record chosen by a third party; the material isn't contradictory but, to my mind, it has to be secondary.
Again, irrelevant, unless one contradicts the other. Do they, in your view? If that is the case, I'm very curious to see your argument along those lines. As i see it, the Ring doesn't cause Gollum to petulantly refuse the light. Gollum himself makes that conscious choice.The material in the letters (and in any specific letter) can be thought-provoking and endlessly debatable, but the actual material that Tolkien gave priority to is in the finished texts. Whether an individual letter states that a character is or isn't a hero is basically irrelevant - I base my thinking about all the characters in LoTR on what is included in the LoTR.
Yes, he ignores the wisdom because of his arrogance. Again, not commending Boromir's actions or demeanor. But his motives are noble, yes, absolutely. And, yes, the Ring would absolutely be worse in Boromir's hands than it ever was in Gollum's.As to Boromir, I believe he is delusional in the same way that everyone else who thinks they can control the ring is delusional: you can't control it, it will utterly corrupt you. As Frodo asks 'Were you not at the Council? He was. He was told by the wisest and most powerful forces for good left on Middle Earth that this ring cannot be used. You say that he ignores this wisdom, but I see it more as him being rather arrogant and prideful.
Psychopathy is a widely misunderstood condition. One who is born a psychopath is not necessarily going to commit criminal acts, but can certainly be influenced in that direction.If Gollum was a born psychopath, then how is that different from saying he was born evil? I don't understand the distinction here.
Didn't I say things could have turned ugly? 🤔 And you're missing the point about Frodo being in enemy territory, having had the Ring for 17 years, etc. And despite all that Frodo doesn't immediately jump to the conclusion that murders it the only way.Sam gives the ring back to Frodo quite quickly; when Sam makes the reasonable observation that it was going to be really hard for Frodo, he reacts by snatching the ring from him and calling him a thief. What, and this to me is the crucial point, would Frodo have done if Sam refused to give him the ring? He knows all about the ring, he's talking to a life-long friend (if we put to one side the rather old-fashioned relationship they have) and he reacts like this. Can we honestly say that things wouldn't have taken a darker turn if Sam kept the ring?
So, then, we cannot attribute evil acts solely to the Ring, if we can freely make such exceptions. And if you want to argue that Sam just wants the simple things in life, what does Gollum want? Apparently, to have the Ring. He seems content living under a mountain and eating orcs and cave fish.Sam doesn't react strongly to the ring, and how lucky he is. Perhaps because he isn't really interested in anything other than the really sinple things in life? Would you call him 'inquisitive' as Gandalf describes Gollum at the beginning?
Yes, poor innocent Gollum, just merrily going about his business when he is hit be a "thunderbolt of evil". I'm sorry, I don't see how you can have it both ways: that some are resistant and others aren't and still say "The Ring did it." Also, understandable? How is Sméagol's murder of Déagol understandable? 🫤Bilbo gives the ring up voluntarily, which does him immense credit. He is, as far as I know, the only character who can do this. So can we see Bilbo as the anti-Gollum and vice versa? Gollum is engulfed by the ring; other characters, I believe, would react the same way in his place. But there are characters who can resist the ring, to a greater or lesser degree, but I still think my point holds - Gollum is hit with a thunderbolt of evil and reacts in a terrible, but perhaps understandable way.
And, yet, it would have happened if not for Sam's suspicious remarks (and Sam's overall disposition towards him, neither of which justifies wickedness). It's Gollum who wouldn't allow the redemption. After Sam is, admittedly, a jerk to him, Gollum is all like, "Nope, I'm done with this good and love business. And I'm going to use Sam's behavior as justification for what I'm going to do next. And I'm going to punish Frodo even if it was just Sam being a jerk."I first met Gollum via the Prologue of LoTR, and he is introduced as a 'loathsome little creature', so I agree his entrance is not at all glorious (and neither is his exit). I don't believe he needs a redemption arc as I don't think the power of the ring would allow that;
Yes, Tolkien said as much:as I said before, I think the finale of the quest would have been hugely diminished if Frodo (or anyone else) was able to destroy the ring - it's simply too powerful.
The version of The Silmarillion CT put out is his version of the legendarium. He picked and chose from the various versions to put together a coherent narrative, but all versions were written by his father. The History of Middle-earth cannot be considered more the work of CT than JRRT. It's material that been collected and organized by theme into a book series, again, written by JRRT, except for annotations by CT.Yes, the SIL is a bit of a thorny issue overall isn't it. I think I've always believed that as Tolkien had been working on the material of the SIL for so long (wasn't there some stuff that dates back to 1917?) that CT was basically just putting it into some knd of order. This may actually be wide of the mark, and I do think that the HoME series (though undoubtedly interesting) is more definitely the work of CT and not JRRT. Again, this is probably up for debate.
This may actually be wide of the mark, and I do think that the HoME series (though undoubtedly interesting) is more definitely the work of CT and not JRRT. Again, this is probably up for debate.
I really like the phrase my Middle Earth. I think this sums up what I've previously (and rather clumsily) referred to as a lot of Tolkien's writing giving itself to personal interpretation by the individual reader. There is enough leeway for an awful lot of differing (not necessarily contradictory) opinions by different readers. Which leads to a lot of really interesting debates!
I can dream about reading those 2600 closely typed pages...CJRT's more detailed, personal History of the Silmarillion has not been made public.
I'm discounting the letters in the sense of not giving them as much value; if we never read anything other than TH and LoTR then I personally think we have all we need about Gollum or any of the other characters. As I've said before, we don't know what criteria HC used to compile his list, we have no idea whether letters were excluded deliberately for one reason or other. We also have no idea how many letters have never been discovered. So on the one hand we have the complete published works, written over decades and sent out to the greatest number of readers possible, as opposed to a number of private letters which as far as we know where always intended to rremain private. To me it's just a question of balance - Gollum (or any other character) equals what is written about him in the published texts.So, you're discounting what Tolkien says about his own character because he never intended to publish it? 🤔 Anyway, again, that Gollum chose the path he did because of who he is. Boy, my head is starting to spin from all the circles in which this discussion is spinning 😵💫😉
Again, irrelevant, unless one contradicts the other. Do they, in your view? If that is the case, I'm very curious to see your argument along those lines. As i see it, the Ring doesn't cause Gollum to petulantly refuse the light. Gollum himself makes that conscious choice.
Yes, he ignores the wisdom because of his arrogance. Again, not commending Boromir's actions or demeanor. But his motives are noble, yes, absolutely. And, yes, the Ring would absolutely be worse in Boromir's hands than it ever was in Gollum's.
Psychopathy is a widely misunderstood condition. One who is born a psychopath is not necessarily going to commit criminal acts, but can certainly be influenced in that direction.
What Is a Psychopath? I'm probably painting with a broad brush here but I think the general idea is worth considering.
Didn't I say things could have turned ugly? 🤔 And you're missing the point about Frodo being in enemy territory, having had the Ring for 17 years, etc. And despite all that Frodo doesn't immediately jump to the conclusion that murders it the only way.
So, then, we cannot attribute evil acts solely to the Ring, if we can freely make such exceptions. And if you want to argue that Sam just wants the simple things in life, what does Gollum want? Apparently, to have the Ring. He seems content living under a mountain and eating orcs and cave fish.
Yes, poor innocent Gollum, just merrily going about his business when he is hit be a "thunderbolt of evil". I'm sorry, I don't see how you can have it both ways: that some are resistant and others aren't and still say "The Ring did it." Also, understandable? How is Sméagol's murder of Déagol understandable? 🫤
And, yet, it would have happened if not for Sam's suspicious remarks (and Sam's overall disposition towards him, neither of which justifies wickedness). It's Gollum who wouldn't allow the redemption. After Sam is, admittedly, a jerk to him, Gollum is all like, "Nope, I'm done with this good and love business. And I'm going to use Sam's behavior as justification for what I'm going to do next. And I'm going to punish Frodo even if it was just Sam being a jerk."
Yes, Tolkien said as much:
I've always thought that the SIL was, as you say, JRRT's material basically put into a coherent order by CT.The version of The Silmarillion CT put out is his version of the legendarium. He picked and chose from the various versions to put together a coherent narrative, but all versions were written by his father. The History of Middle-earth cannot be considered more the work of CT than JRRT. It's material that been collected and organized by theme into a book series, again, written by JRRT, except for annotations by CT.
If you highlight the part of the text you want to quote, a 'reply' button should appear under it. When you click it, that highlighted portion will automatically appear in the text box where you're writing your reply.Just a quick technical question here guys,
I'm hopeless at the technicalities of posting, so could someone explain how I do multiple quotes in my replies to posts?
I mean that when I'm replying to multiple points in a post I'd like to highlight the points I'm talking about (if that makes sense!)
For instance, Radaghast highlights each individual point I make that he is discussing, whereas my replies don't, and this makes my relies rather difficult to follow I think
That seems to work for the first part of the text I quote - the highlight comes up blue and I get the reply button.If you highlight the part of the text you want to quote, a 'reply' button should appear under it. When you click it, that highlighted portion will automatically appear in the text box where you're writing your reply.
Like this:
View attachment 35681
Ah, I think I may have stumbled on an answer.If you highlight the part of the text you want to quote, a 'reply' button should appear under it. When you click it, that highlighted portion will automatically appear in the text box where you're writing your reply.
Like this:
View attachment 35681
I've always thought that the SIL was basically CT collating the material which JRRT had worked on, with the editorial touch being very light. As such I've regarded it as as near canon as makes no difference. There could be a lot of reconsidering going on!The only complete "Silmarillion" Tolkien ever wrote is dated to 1930 (Qenta Noldorinwa). He began it over and over as the decades drove by, but in my opinion, never again came near to finishing it -- with respect to updating it after The Lord of the Rings was written and published (enter Galadriel). Generally speaking, the earlier chapters often saw the most updating.
Good heavens. I may actually have been treating the SIL and HoME completely the wrong way round. This is a very interesting development, to say the least.The History of Middle-Earth series is a different animal however, and gives Tolkien fans the external, textual evolution of the "Legendarium" (includes the Silmarillion), with a section devoted to The Lord of the Rings draft texts. Thus, in HME we have much of Tolkien's text as it actually stood, with lots of good background information from Christopher Tolkien.
Good heavens. I may actually have been treating the SIL and HoME completely the wrong way round.
I can dream about reading those 2600 closely typed pages...
But why assume HC has any criteria or agenda at all? And why assume there might be letters that say Gollum was just a misunderstood guy? 🤔I'm discounting the letters in the sense of not giving them as much value; if we never read anything other than TH and LoTR then I personally think we have all we need about Gollum or any of the other characters. As I've said before, we don't know what criteria HC used to compile his list, we have no idea whether letters were excluded deliberately for one reason or other. We also have no idea how many letters have never been discovered. So on the one hand we have the complete published works, written over decades and sent out to the greatest number of readers possible, as opposed to a number of private letters which as far as we know where always intended to rremain private. To me it's just a question of balance - Gollum (or any other character) equals what is written about him in the published texts.
It's that scene on the stairs of Cirith Ungol where Gollum sees the two hobbits and almost repents of his wickedness and is ready to join the light. Then Sam wakes up and instinctively assumes the worst, thwarting Gollum's redemptions arc. But, as Tolkien wrote in a letter (not sure if I quoted it or not) it is "too easily withered." This is very telling (even if you may not wish to accept its validity based on it being from a letter).I'm not sure what you mean by Gollum 'petulantly refusing the light'. If it refers to the first time Gollum is exposed to the ring, then I can't see any petulance here.
I think the Ring certainly influenced Sméagol, but I don't think it possessed him to do it. I think the seed was already in him, just as the seed was in Boromir to act as he did on Amon Hen. Maybe Sméagol was always a bully and a jerk to Déagol (and maybe Déagol just took it, for lack of any other friends).I just can't make sense of Gollum killing Deagol without the ring having a tremendous, instant, affect on him. If you say that he was always going to do it as he was a basically bad person, then this takes away the power of the ring, which makes no sense to me - this is an artefact that the Wise are scared to even touch, whose destruction at the end of the book changes the world - how can this thing not be the prime mover in Gollum's actions?
Yes, his noble intentions are already being twisted by the Ring. I never said the Ring didn't influence either Gollum or Boromir. Boromir's initial intentions are to save Gondor, but delusions of grandeur start creeping up on him quickly with the Ring so close and only a small person guarding it.Boromir's actions, to my way of thinking, are not completely noble - there is a mixture here of the noble and the personal - it's telling that it's always about what he will do with the ring; setting yourself up as a great king? The rightful king of Gondor is Aragorn, as he well knows, so how is that noble? And this is completely understandable and makes Boromir a much more relatable character to me.
I encourage exploring the links I posted. Again, it's a very misunderstood condition. People hear the word psychopath and the next word association is "serial killer" or something. But it is not necessarily so; very much not, in fact. Psychopathy is merely a condition, it is not a predisposition to do evil things or a criminal record. A person can be a psychopath and live their entire life with the condition and not even know it.I'm afraid I still don't understand the difference between being a psychopath and being evil. If you are psychopathic, then don't you have to have done something to be identified as such? If Gollum doesn't do anything evil, then is he not evil? I think Gollum becomes someone who does evil things (because of the ring) so we would have to say he is evil. The action, to me, is the important thing.
No, and again I already conceded that something ugly might have occurred. Point is, it would have taken time, as opposed to Gollum's murder, in which he strangles his cousin from behind and with very little provocation. And note how quick Frodo is to show remorse at his behavior to Sam.So things 'turning ugly' would be because Sam keeps hold of the ring; the crucial point here is that he doesn't - he gives it back to Frodo. Can we honestly say that Frodo would not have attempted absolutely anything to get the ring back - and this goes to the point I've already made that Gollum is denied the ring, and this is the crucial factor to me.
If we solely blame the Ring for Sméagol's actions then we have to wonder why it didn't compel Isildur, Bilbo, Frodo and Sam to do the same. Heck, let's throw Déagol in there while we're at it? If the Ring was so overwhelmingly influential, Déagol should have been compelled to attack Sméagol when the latter demands the Ring, shouldn't he? But it those others can readily resist the Ring's ability to influence people to commit murder, then doesn't that make Gollum the exception and not the rule?To me, the base point is that Gollum is initially overwhelmed by the ring and reacts in an extraordinary manner. As I've said, the scene just doesn't make sense to me otherwise. He then uses the ring for 'crooked and malicious uses' as Gandalf says in 'The Shadow of the Past', and is then shunned and turns his back on the world to live under the Mountain. Once he is there he does remarkably little evil (apart from eating Orcs!) for centuries - and I'd say that this is because he doesn't always wear the ring, and he is comfortable because he has it in his possession. When it is taken from him is when things start getting ugly - so doesn't this suggest that the ring is the prime mover here?
Yes, exactly. I remarked on this earlier in the post but will expound on it here. It's in the chapter "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol". Gollum finds the hobbits sleeping and he looks at them, then, "a spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate." Then he touches Frodo's knee, causing the hobbit to cry out softly, which causes the other hobbit to wake up and act accusingly towards Gollum.I'm confused as to your point about the redemption arc. Are you saying that there was a specific moment where Gollum would have been redeemed if Sam hadn't made some nasty remarks to him? I'm not sure whereabouts this is in the text?
Hm... I don't get that impression at all. If the possibility exists that Frodo had no recollection of that incident in Mount Doom, that's perfectly understandable, given all Frodo had gone through to that point. And it doesn't really bear on the story as a whole.Now the letter you have quoted is really interesting to me. He says definitively that Frodo 'failed'. i think anyone reading the book would wholeheartedly agree with that statement.
He then goes on to say that it is possible that Frodo had little recollection of events after the ring was destroyed. This is almost as if he is discussing a character in someone else's work; there's no sense of him saying that this is exactly what Frodo did or didn't do, yet he is the author. It's as if he is still undecided about the events, or at least the interpretation of an event that he himself has created.
This is what I meant when I said that the letters could be seen as 'works in progress' (even though the letters are post-publication); if Tolkien is still using quantifiers such as 'possible' then I think this strengthens my claim that the text must be held as paramount.
I'm hopeless at the technicalities of posting, so could someone explain how I do multiple quotes in my replies to posts?
I mean that when I'm replying to multiple points in a post I'd like to highlight the points I'm talking about (if that makes sense!)
For instance, Radaghast highlights each individual point I make that he is discussing, whereas my replies don't, and this makes my relies rather difficult to follow I think
It will do this every time you press Enter after quoted text. I only have the initial quote labelling who the author is. I copy and paste subsequent parts I want to quote separately so they won't be labelled, as I don't think it's necessary and looks a bit cluttered to my eye, but that's just me.
If ever, not soon enough for me.Me too. I wonder, will it ever be made public?
I realize such a tome would not be for everyone; but well, for some of us, it might be too short!
I'm not assuming this to be the case, I'm basically just saying that the letters are, at best, an incomplete record, as opposed to the final, complete text. I'm actually convinced that HC has done a very good job - his biography of Tolkien was really good, I think. But we are still left with the fact that there could be material out there which hasn't been examined, for one reason or another.But why assume HC has any criteria or agenda at all? And why assume there might be letters that say Gollum was just a misunderstood guy? 🤔
Ah, I'm with you. It's a beautifully presented scene. To me it shows what the ring has done to Gollum over all those centuries, leaving him 'an old starved pitiable thing'. I believe that the ring was simply too powerful for a redemption arc to be really believable; having said that, the scene really does lend itself to that reading doesn't it? This, to me, is an example of the breadth of Tolkien's work allowing individual interpretation.It's that scene on the stairs of Cirith Ungol where Gollum sees the two hobbits and almost repents of his wickedness and is ready to join the light. Then Sam wakes up and instinctively assumes the worst, thwarting Gollum's redemptions arc. But, as Tolkien wrote in a letter (not sure if I quoted it or not) it is "too easily withered." This is very telling (even if you may not wish to accept its validity based on it being from a letter
But the text, which to me is all important, gives no indication of Smeagol being a bully or a jerk - he's described as inquisitive and curious-minded, which to me are positive traits; he then commits murder - a shocking act which I think can't be explained just as the influence of the ring - it's too extreme for that, I think.I think the Ring certainly influenced Sméagol, but I don't think it possessed him to do it. I think the seed was already in him, just as the seed was in Boromir to act as he did on Amon Hen. Maybe Sméagol was always a bully and a jerk to Déagol (and maybe Déagol just took it, for lack of any other friends).
Yes, I read your link, and I agree that psychopathy is much more complicated an issue than I gave it credit for; I was wrongly using psychopathy and evil almost interchangably as a kind of shorthand which is simply not the case.Psychopathy is merely a condition, it is not a predisposition to do evil things or a criminal record. A person can be a psychopath and live their entire life with the condition and not even know it.
To my mind, the 'something ugly' may have been Frodo trying to kill Sam to get the ring back; I don't understand how it would have taken time - I believe that if Sam kept the ring longer than he had, then Frodo would have acted there and then.
Because everyone you mention has possession of the ring and Gollum doesn't. If Deagol gave Gollum the ring, then he may not have acted in a bad way at all?If we solely blame the Ring for Sméagol's actions then we have to wonder why it didn't compel Isildur, Bilbo, Frodo and Sam to do the same. Heck, let's throw Déagol in there while we're at it? If the Ring was so overwhelmingly influential, Déagol should have been compelled to attack Sméagol when the latter demands the Ring, shouldn't he? But it those others can readily resist the Ring's ability to influence people to commit murder, then doesn't that make Gollum the exception and not the rule?
My point was that it almost seems as if Tolkien was discussing the work of another author (much as we are doing now!). He is the author yet talks about whether Frodo did or didn't do something; the text is set in stone as it were, so to me the letter (however interesting) is of secondary value. To me it doesn't bear on the story in any way, as it isn't in the story that the text actually tells.Hm... I don't get that impression at all. If the possibility exists that Frodo had no recollection of that incident in Mount Doom, that's perfectly understandable, given all Frodo had gone through to that point. And it doesn't really bear on the story as a whole.
I'm so useless at this stuff that I'm just happy to be able to do the multiple quote thing even if it is cluttered!If you do a hard return after the part you want to reply to, it will separate that part and create a new quote underneath, like so:
It will do this every time you press Enter after quoted text. I only have the initial quote labelling who the author is. I copy and paste subsequent parts I want to quote separately so they won't be labelled, as I don't think it's necessary and looks a bit cluttered to my eye, but that's just me.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?