• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did 🧙Gandalf torture Gollum with fire?

Did Gandalf burn Gollum with fire?

  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Well, perhaps a bit; maybe just singed his nose hairs

    Votes: 1 16.7%

  • Total voters
    6
  • Poll closed .

Radaghast

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 31, 2021
Messages
2,832
In the chapter "The Shadow of the Past" Gandalf tells Frodo how he "put the fear of fire on him" to get information about the One Ring. The full quote is below:
‘I endured him as long as I could, but the truth was desperately important, and in the end I had to be harsh. I put the fear of fire on him, and wrung the true story out of him, bit by bit, together with much snivelling and snarling. He thought he was misunderstood and ill-used. But when he had at last told me his history, as far as the end of the Riddle-game and Bilbo’s escape, he would not say any more, except in dark hints. Some other fear was on him greater than mine. He muttered that he was going to get his own back. People would see if he would stand being kicked, and driven into a hole and then robbed. Gollum had good friends now, good friends and very strong. They would help him. Baggins would pay for it. That was his chief thought. He hated Bilbo and cursed his name. What is more, he knew where he came from.’
I have seen it opined a few times that this means that Gandalf actually used fire on Gollum's body. I am of the opinion that Gandalf merely threatened Gollum with fire; at worst put fire close enought that Gollum felt uncomfortable. Keep in mind that Gollum displayed signs of discomfort when tied with Elven rope, so it may have not taken much to persuade Gollum to spill the beans. But What do you think? Please vote below and feel free to discuss.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top