Radaghast
Well-Known Member
- Joined
- May 31, 2021
- Messages
- 2,834
There seems to be a belief among some book fans that the quote in the title means Gandalf actually burned Gollum. The full sentence:
I got into a debate with someone at Quora over this. I argued that Gandalf would not necessarily have had to burn Gollum to get information out of him, that the fear of fire would not necessitate inflicting it on Gollum. But I thought I'd bring the question to this board and see what people here think. Gandalf's statement is rather open-ended. I personally don't believe Gandalf would resort to physical torture, though.‘I endured him as long as I could, but the truth was desperately important, and in the end I had to be harsh. I put the fear of fire on him, and wrung the true story out of him, bit by bit, together with much snivelling and snarling.

