Well.. there you go...'Not for Him!'
'No, sweet one. See, my precious: if we has it, then we can escape, even from Him, eh? Perhaps we grows very strong, stronger than Wraiths. Lord Smeagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day, fresh from theSea. Most Precious Gollum! Must have it. We wants it,, we wants it,, we wants it!'
He would go so far, as the sea is... and it's pretty far from Mordor, and I doubt he would went anywere on the sea, where servants of Sauron is (Umbar?), but much farer.
And that is definitely something ring didn't wanted.
I don't see it in that way at all.I don't think so. What good would that do? Sauron sought the Ring, and only did he manipulate the desires of power when he feared the Ring was in danger. If perhaps, Shelob intended to devour it, he may have placed such thoughts into her mind that she would not consume it, but rather she would protect it.
In my mind, Sauron and The One Ring are separated entities, even they were from one origin. I don't think Sauron through ring directly place some thoughts into the carrier of the ring, I think that's just the ring itself, it is his feature, and it do that, even Sauron is not aware of it.
Also, greed for ring.. I see it as a ring feature... like a passive ability... something that even sometimes goes against ring's wished (like Gollum greed for it (even ring didn't wanted to get back to him))... I also doubt the ring wanted to end up with Galadriel, yet, she had desire to have it.

