• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Is Goldberry a Maia like 🧙Gandalf?

Originally posted by Lantarion
Well I assumed that by calling her an Enigma, you were saying that she was not anything else.
Before Assuming such a thing, first tell me what an Enigma Is....

And it is Tolkien's view that Tom and conected matters were and were to remain an Enigma.
 
I have the answer! From In the House of Tom Bombadil , third paragraph:


Now this doesnt exactly mean that she is an elf queen, cuz it says "Like folk that". But i think that this is a good quote to help us solve this problem...But then after that she says:

I am Goldberry, daughter of the River.

And River was capatalized in the book, but that probly doesnt mean anything... But this could mean that she is a Maiar, maybey offspring of Ulmo er somthin like that... er the same type of Ainur... Iduno, just found 2 good quotes that might be helpful
 
I abhor peoples' seemingly insatiable need to label Tom and Goldberry, convinced that they must be specific creations in the mythology at all.

However, the most convincing argument I have seen to date as to what Tom is, if he must be something, is Gene Hargrove's assertion that Tom is in fact Aulë.

I am comfortable with the idea that Goldberry, "daughter of the River," could indeed be a Maia.
 
The only convincing argument that I have seen as to what Tom is comes from JRR Tolkien himself.

Tom is an Enigma.

All else is speculation and of equal merit.

As to the Quotes about Goldberry, they only show how Tolkien did everything he could to make sure that there was no certain answer to this question. (which gives us something to debate when we can't think of other questions. )
 
Have you read Gene Hargrove's essay? Do you not find it convincing? In what ways?
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…