My dear herlig9 - I'm not sure we can say being an
Orc is a 'mental state of mind.'
As I recall,
Morgoth originally 'kidnapped' some of the
Cuiviénen before
Oromë first became aware they had arrived.
Morgoth twisted them.
Given what is in my memory, I don't believe we can attest they were 'walking astray' or 'thinking wrongly' or held any state of mind astray from
Eru's will.
I do believe the
Elves were as yet naive (lacking experience, wisdom or judgment) - a great time for
evil to take advantage of things.
I DO feel there is a metaphorical truth to what
Tolkien is depicting. In fact, a number of them.
But my perspective is it has more to do with the external impact of evil and its power to distort the truth, than it has to do with an internal state of mind.
I would summarize our "take-aways" as these things at a minimum, from Tolkien's intent with the
Orcs:
1. The intention of evil to distort truth.
2. The power of evil to distort truth - and all things into the bargain.
3. The susceptibility of the naive to be corrupted by error of any kind.
4. The difficulty of breaking the grip of evil once it gains its grip.
In addition, because of the Orcs, Tolkien shows us the prejudices of many, while at the same time showing the mercies of many. (This is more difficult to see.)
The Orcs play a hugely significant role in Tolkien's depiction of good, evil, and Humanity to us, as he layers it all into his work.
I feel the "state of mind" of the Orc is the RESULT of things, rather than the beginning of things.
Think 'brainwashing' among other things, and how it bends the mind, ultimately distorting it from what it once was and held, to what it becomes.
Think too, the subtler forms of brainwashing, such as the News media, Television commercials, history
books intentionally wrongly displaying history for its own reasons and purposes. Think even the Education systems and political systems of all countries, and how they work to distort and build a sufficiently conformed populace to their preferred goals and objectives.
Evil is pervasive, powerful, and persistent. What the mind becomes, if we are not extremely cautious, is the result of Evil's influence.
We must learn how to counteract evil - but again, the education systems throughout the world are not bent on training us how to think. They are bent on fitting us properly into the compliant herd.