• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Isildur not entirely evil!

Originally posted by Variag of Khand

As an aside: Gandalf's statement is plain wrong AND he knows it. I can think of 3 examples of Rings of Power being given away:
- Gil-Galad to Elrond
- Cirdan to Gandalf
- Thror to Thrain

Gandalf: we will never trust you again.... [/B]

You forgot the most unusual case of all: Bilbo to Frodo. Of course, he got a swift kick in the pants from Gandalf to help him along.
:D

Perhaps these were all cases of the Rings choosing to change owners. The Elven-rings would be unlikely to "object" to any of their new wielders, at least, and the One Ring may have been bored of hanging around Hobbiton...
 
Donnie my friend, did I forget, or perhaps you did not read my post too closely?;)
 
VoK: You don't strike me from your posts as someone who's never read UT....

Did you buy a cheap paperback & it fell apart? (happened to me a few times)

I would agree that the Three Elvish Rings would not put the 'hold' on you that the others, 'sullied' by Sauron, would.

And, I agree Isildur wouldn't have given the Ring to anybody if he'd gotten outta there alive.
Nor would Elrond have accepted it I bet.
 
I did have a copy. Sssomeone ssssneaked off with it.:( :mad: Thief! We hates them forever!;)
 
:D :D :D Isildur was a great man, he had great power and he killed Sauron, therefore he was not evil but he was corrupted by the ring. No one could control the will of the ring save Sauron himself. I was wrong to post this thread but it has generated some very good opinions and I definitely learnt that Isildur is not evil at all!!!:D :D :D
 
Isildur may have not had any evil in him to begin with, but I think he and the blood which will run through the rest of his family got poisened by the Ring's power. This is proven by the fact that Aragorn refuses to accept kingship over Gondor (not publically, but internally), when he chose to become a Druedain (until the turn of events in the course of LotR, of course). He obviously felt the so called evil in himself BECAUSE of Isildur's "weakness".

In conclusion, I think Isildur did have a grain of evil in him since Aragorn could feel it or more so FEAR it.


-- Fell free to correct anything I said here that was wrong, for I am basing this post upon a memory which is a few good months old. Last time I read FoTR was around 9/01.
 
This is proven by the fact that Aragorn refuses to accept kingship over Gondor (not publically, but internally), when he chose to become a Druedain (until the turn of events in the course of LotR, of course). He obviously felt the so called evil in himself BECAUSE of Isildur's "weakness".

This is backwards. Aragorn did not chose to become Chieftain of the North and did not "not chose" to become King.

Aragorn was born into the job of Chieftain of the North. He was the direct decendent of 800 years and 14 Chieftains of the North.

Conversely the job of King was not Aragorn's to refuse. There was no King in Gondor. Aragorn had a "claim" to be King which under certain circumstances might be accepted. Aragorn did not chose to put forward this claim until after the successful completion of the War of the Ring. If there had been no War of the Ring in his lifetime, in that case, I dont think he would have become King of Gondor.
 
:D :D :D Sorry to be so picky, but Aragorn was of the Dunedain not the Druedain. Bilbo calls Aragorn Dunadan (the singular form of Dunedain) at Imladris (Rivendell) in FOTR. The Druedain were a race of small people, nearly as small as hobbits, yet they were men. Gahn-buri-Ghan was believd to be a descendant of these people. They were noted for making the Pukel-men, in RoTK, and were the arch-rivals of Morgoth's orcs for some time. Just thought I'd clear that one up!!!:D :D :D
 
Originally posted by Kelkorian
He (Aragorn) obviously felt the so called evil in himself BECAUSE of Isildur's "weakness".

In conclusion, I think Isildur did have a grain of evil in him since Aragorn could feel it or more so FEAR it.

Sorry to disagree. This "feeling of evil/weakness" in Aragorn was a dramatization from the movie. Aragorn lamented his ancestor mistake, and he was destined to help correcting it, but it is never said of insinuated in the book that Aragorn felt personally tainted by it.

In the movie they use that plot to make it easier to explain Aragorn's decision not to follow Frodo when the fellowship breaks up. Quick and dirty, but effective for those who had not read the book. It weakens Aragorn's super-hero caracter a bit, but you can have it all...
 

Similar threads

Back
Top