In my very own home state, about 20 miles (32 km) due east of me...
(I've lived here 40 years and this is the first time I've heard about this 😬)
Superstition Mountains Cougar Shadow
APACHE JUNCTION, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) — Something is prowling around Apache Junction that gains a lot of attention during this time of the year.
“I’m hoping to see the elusive cat,” said Ralph Prosser, who came to
the East Valley from Washington.
Arizona’s Family traveled to the far East Valley to see if our crews could catch a glimpse of Apache Junction’s unofficial mascot, “The Cougar’s Shadow.”
This legendary mountain beast is difficult to spot because it is not an actual animal but a shadow.
It only shows itself on the Superstition Mountains twice a year during each of the equinoxes.
“The way that the sun plays on the rocks in that canyon creates the image of a cougar chasing its prey down into the bottom on the canyon,” said Jack Olson, a photographer who has been capturing images of the majestic beat for several years. “This is my seventh year going out there, my wife thinks I’m crazy.”
The locals said the intersection near Goldfeld Road and Superstition Boulevard is a good spot to see the spectacle.
You can see it begin forming about 30 minutes before sunset. However, as quickly as it forms, it vanishes even quicker- gone into the night.
If you’re interested in seeing the shadow, locals say you can still catch glimpses of it throughout the end of March; otherwise, you’ll have to wait till September.