• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Keeping Track of Jackson's "Hobbit"

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
2,762
7/19/2004

It looks like Time Warner and New Line Cinema are about to purchase MGM, with the consequence, that the rights on The Hobbit would be in one hand. So a big obstacle for The Hobbit movie would simply disappear.
Peter Jackson has confirmed his interest again.

http://derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml

===============================

Hobbit Bonus in MGM Buy

Acquisition may yield ''small'' benefits.
July 19, 2004 -

New Line Cinema is getting serious in their pursuit of The Hobbit rights... so much so that they've unleashed parent company Time Warner on Hobbit rights holder MGM in a bid to buy the entire studio. Okay, maybe that's not the sole motivation behind the deal, but according to today's Variety, Time Warner is expected to snatch up MGM now that merger talks with Sony have started to flounder. As the trade says, The Hobbit would certainly be a nice bonus in such a deal.

Lord of the Rings filmmaker Peter Jackson is currently prepping for King Kong, but he's free after that. Back when New Line and MGM were going the traditional rights negotiating route, Jackson told AP Radio, "I guess MGM's lawyers and New Line's lawyers are going to have a huge amount of fun over the next few years trying to work it all out. I'm obviously busy for a couple of years on King Kong so those lawyers can just go at it for a long time."

The Hobbit follows Bilbo Baggins (played by Ian Holm in the Rings films), who found the ring and passed it on to his nephew, Frodo.

Jackson also told AP that he'd want the movie, naturally, to look a lot like the Rings trilogy. "I'd want Ian McKellen to be back as Gandalf, I'd want it to feel like it was part of the same mythology that we've done with Lord of the Rings," Jackson said.

-- Brian Linder

http://filmforce.ign.com/lotr/articles/531/531520p1.html

===============================

Barley
 
It sounds great! I hope that P.J, or whoever ends up directing the movie does a good job and stays true to the book.
 
Last edited:
Inderjit S said:
I hope that P.J, or.... does a good job and stays true to the book.
As fine a piece of wishful thinking as I've seen in a long time!
Luckily the poet Tolkien does tell us about the many noble men who lived before the time of Aragorn. :D
 
Last edited:
Yes, well there is not as much to change in 'The Hobbit' as there was in the enormous 'Lord of The Rings', any change may be superfluous, some of the changes in LoTR were needed.

Oh and it is meant to be I hope "that" P.J etc. not I hope "the" P.J etc;but it turns out that joxy kindly quoted the passage where I made the mistake and thus I cannot change it now. :eek:
 
I hadn't noticed that Inder, but now you've mentioned it I've changed it. :cool:
 
Yeah, shame it took so long to sort through all the legal and contractual ****...

I must admit I am already getting excited about seeing it on the big screen, in 3D, with the extra fast frame-rate thing to boot. What's more, a new multiplex opened not far from where I live that have those seats that shake and move with the action.

Well, maybe I should stick with the regular format. With all of those extra experiences I'm likely to get motion sickness and barf my popcorn all over the place...:*o
 
*screams into a pillow*

I wish del Toro had stayed on for director. Already starting to see these clever "additions", courtesy of Jackson. I shall gladly don my NPW hat again when the full scale of the silliness is revealed. :*rolleyes:
 
It would have at least been a different sort of vision, though. I'd rather see del Toro's changes to the book than than Jackson's.
 
Get ready for the love interest between Tauriel and Beorn!!! [Hmmm... there's no emoticon for throwing up so I'll have to use this one...] :*rolleyes:
 
Well, apparently, we have one of the first if not THE first of PJ's major "gratuitous Jacksonisms" in the form of an elf name Tauriel ( http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/06/20/45330-just-who-is-tauriel-let-the-speculation-begin/ ), played by Evangeline Lilly of "Lost" fame...:*eek:

Barley

Should anyone be surprised? It's what to expect from PJ when adapting Tolkien's works. I don't have a problem with giving more detail about elves that are already part of the picture, creating characters that might exist in some form, though not in specific detail (such as the elves that would have been part of Thranduil's dealings with the dwarves) and fleshing them out.

It is when these made up characters are in places that they don't belong, doing things that never existed that become parts of a major plot, or worse, taking the roles and actions of characters that DO exist in the book (Arwen at the Fords and Haldir and the Elves at Helm's deep anyone?) where my nit picking weenie purist ire gets riled.

The Hobbit allows more freedom than LoTR in my opinion, but caution should still be applied. Keep Phillipa Boyen and her meddling, destructive hands away from the book and script and it might be okay. Evangeline Lilly as an elf maiden? Meh. I would like to see Emily Proctor from CSI: Miami as an elf. I'd like to have seen her as Galadriel myself.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top