• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Kili And Tauriel Romance???

Dang! I was all geared up for an Azog/Tauriel romance. Just imagine in the Battle of the Five Armies... what could be more romantic than a warrior/female elf (Tauriel) subduing Azog and then raising her two white knives to slice his throat, staring deeply into his eyes.... long pause for effect... then throwing herself on him with a passionate kiss. They then rally the Orcs/Goblins/Wolves and slaughter the Dwarves/Elves/Men and win the day.

Now there's a movie plot!!

Cheers,

Grond

Kind of like Owen and Fran Stalinovskovichdavidovitchsky.
 
Now to be clear, it is not that I have a hatred of romance. Otherwise, why would I love Pride and Prejudice? But a lot of romance in stories, it seems to me, is not nearly as sensible as Jane Austin's. Which is probably why I've avoided writing about romance, but I'll give a shot a writing some more realistic-yet-sweet romance. Especially on the man's part.
 
Ah, Grond. I've missed you, my friend! That was brilliant! I knew I should have been sedated before entering the theatre, as all I did was mumble to myself throughout the entire movie. In the end, it all came down to Smaug. *toothy Dragon grin*
 
PJ has of course been desperate to have a female kiss-a$$ girl elf for a very long time. Remember the rumour that Arwen would turn up at Helms Deep, and then fan reaction that killed off the idea? So for this movie, as a double-fingered salute, he invents his own elven lass, and has her do precisely what he likes. Namely, fighting, and romancing a bearded person.
 
I think its a story of two true loves. Legolas knows Tauriels' pfeelings for Kili. As shown in the seen lakeside after Smaugs death. But never wavers in his attitude toward her. And attitude of duty first but a definite affection+ underneath. Without the expectation. No. The realization that her heart wasnt his. Along with the classical romance of Tauriel and Kili. Two true romances.
 
I think its a story of two true loves. Legolas knows Tauriels' pfeelings for Kili. As shown in the seen lakeside after Smaugs death. But never wavers in his attitude toward her. And attitude of duty first but a definite affection+ underneath. Without the expectation. No. The realization that her heart wasnt his. Along with the classical romance of Tauriel and Kili. Two true romances.
*Mumble, grumble*

OK, being very generous, one could see it as a dim, late echo of "Beren and Lúthien". With Legolas (also non-existent in the original "The Hobbit" book) taking the part of the (as originally in the "Book of Lost Tales" phase) Daeron.
But Beren and Lúthien are of the "Eruhini", what the Dwarves (despite a thread to be found somewhere here on the site) are not.
The only Dwarf in PJ-ville whose appearance ever came close to JRRT's vision of Dwarves was Gimli as portrayed by John Rhys-Davies. And PJ threw that out the window by making Gimli the source of much comic relief in the LoTR films (I've raged about this elsewhere, not only on TTF).

The only Dwarf who vaguely comes close to Gimli in LoTR in TH is Balin. The rest are (in varying degrees) bad jokes. Thorin, Fili and Kili with their Don-Johnson-stubble as heirs of Durin I, longfather of the Longbeards (!!!) are just ridiculous. The Hollywood Troll in PJ seems to have thought that Orlando Bloom (the candy for a specific demographic), having aged in real life (duh! Lee Pace, playing his father Thranduil, is actually younger than Orlando; did a good job of covering up that real-life contradiction), needed backing support by Dwarves totally contradicting JRRT canon. The EE additional footage to the actual film (not the "appendices") with the Dwarves made me 🤮
 
I think its a story of two true loves. Legolas knows Tauriels' pfeelings for Kili. As shown in the seen lakeside after Smaugs death. But never wavers in his attitude toward her. And attitude of duty first but a definite affection+ underneath. Without the expectation. No. The realization that her heart wasnt his. Along with the classical romance of Tauriel and Kili. Two true romances.
I agree that it is a story of two true loves. PJ's love of absolute BS, and PJ's unbounded love for himself.

The very thought of such an abomination of a story-line in The Hobbit is one reason why I have still not been able to watch more that a small part of any of the films. The characters that look like Men pretending to be dwarves is another.
 
This belongs here:

d5abb81a4d625463cbe13b346ea946fe.jpg
 
Last edited:
BTW, welcome to the forum, Phin! Hope you'll be happy here -- though I'm afraid you may find limited sympathy for this particular form of interspecies romance.
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Latest posts

Similar threads

Back
Top