Teddy
New Member
- Joined
- Sep 17, 2020
- Messages
- 3
Hi all!
Just registered to ask for help translating my family's names into Tengwar. My parents are wanting to get a tattoo of our names in Elvish (and I may be inclined to join them after my tattoo of Tolkien's symbol - an exciting year!), so I want to make 1000% sure that they have the correct translations. I've used the following links to attempt my own translations for the names Seb ; Jane ; Dave ; Tara:
https://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online-english-to-elvish-engraving-translator (a ringmaker)
herebythemaverick.wordpress.com
I'd also like some clarification on something since while I'm not new to the Tolkien community, I am new to the linguistic side. Are the languages/dialects of Elvish Quenya and Sindarin, and they're written in Tengwar? So then there's Quenya Tengwar and Sindarin Tengwar? I ask this because the "herebythemaverick" blog focuses on Quenya Tengwar, and I'm unsure what the other two links use. What I've done to cross-reference is take one of the names translated in the blog article (specifically "Rachel") and then entered them into the two translators. The problem is that the translators have a slightly different translation to the blog post, however this may be due to the whole Quenya vs Sindarin thing. Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Just registered to ask for help translating my family's names into Tengwar. My parents are wanting to get a tattoo of our names in Elvish (and I may be inclined to join them after my tattoo of Tolkien's symbol - an exciting year!), so I want to make 1000% sure that they have the correct translations. I've used the following links to attempt my own translations for the names Seb ; Jane ; Dave ; Tara:
https://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online-english-to-elvish-engraving-translator (a ringmaker)
Write your name in Quenya Elvish (accurately)
A comprehensive and highly accurate guide to writing, not just your name, but any word, in Quenya Tengwar.
herebythemaverick.wordpress.com
I'd also like some clarification on something since while I'm not new to the Tolkien community, I am new to the linguistic side. Are the languages/dialects of Elvish Quenya and Sindarin, and they're written in Tengwar? So then there's Quenya Tengwar and Sindarin Tengwar? I ask this because the "herebythemaverick" blog focuses on Quenya Tengwar, and I'm unsure what the other two links use. What I've done to cross-reference is take one of the names translated in the blog article (specifically "Rachel") and then entered them into the two translators. The problem is that the translators have a slightly different translation to the blog post, however this may be due to the whole Quenya vs Sindarin thing. Thanks for any help you guys can give!
